Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 04:24 AM

Default First foray into B&M NL, did I play this correctly?

1/2 NL at the Taj today (yesterday, technically). $60 min/$300 max buy-in. I got $300 on me but the Mrs. makes me promise not to buy-in for more than $100. Ok then...

I(~$86) open raise to $7 in MP with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Player to my left(PTML, $340) who seems sane, calls, everyone else folds.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet $15, PTML calls.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet $45, PTML calls.

River is the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he puts me all-in for my remaining $19 which I call.

Should I have just gone all-in on the turn instead of betting just $45 of my $64? I wouldn't be folding anyway if he raises me anywhere. Btw, villian shows K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Would anyone else play his hand the same way?

Anyway, a couple hands after that the villian called a $25 preflop raise with 66, flop came out 653, villian comes out betting $50, gets raised $50 by PFR, and puts the PFR all-in for his remaining $270. PFR had KK. He left a few hands later with a couple racks.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: First foray into B&M NL, did I play this correctly?

$25 raise is pretty big lol.
I seldom raise preflop with 77... but it's ok so long as you hit : )

I would just go ahead and push the turn.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:42 AM

I agree with previous poster.... I'm not a big fan of the PF raise w/ 77. If you can get it limped with a few opponents and hit your set you're more likely to at least dble up.

Otherwise... I like the flop bet and yeah, you probably shud have just pushed on the turn.

u charged him to hit his draw which is what ur supposed to do.

Here's the big question though... did u rebuy?

Play Well!
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The Ugly One! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

A Fish and His Chips are Soon Parted
Old 01-09-2005, 05:52 AM

first mistake, listening to the Mrs. buying in for the max is good, lets you win the most from the bad players.

second, and this is purely up to you i guess, i dont like opening in MP with mid pocket pairs. but again, thats preference.

as far as the rest of the hand, you played it fine. i probably would have pushed the turn, and if not then, push the river, regardless of what hits. you let him off too easy by checking when he has a top pair/two pair type of hand. because as you said, youre calling no matter what. he will make you pay that extra $19 when he beats you, but he wont give it to you when you are ahead of him.

His play a few hands later seems pretty standard also
Old 01-09-2005, 04:19 PM

also agreeing with above posters... if you're buying in short, or are short-stacked; i dont know how good of an idea it is to PFR with mid/low PP. its probably better to try to see a flop cheaply. ... what happens if you flop 3 overs to your PP.

in these instances (i.e. when short-stacked) i may even think about dropping the low-mid PPs facing a strong PFR as if i miss flops, i will just be spewing chips off my stack. am i way off base here? should i still be calling those hands after strong PFRs behind me, as i may have implied odds to double up?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 AM

Villain is paying too much for his draws, both his overcards + straight + flush draw against you (which is a great draw, but not worth a pot-sized turn bet!) and his pocket pair draw on the later hand (which is not worth 12 bbs!).

I don't like open-raising medium pairs like 77, but apart from that you played your hand fine. At no point did villain have odds, and on the river you have to call any bet no matter what hits, since you're getting 8:1. Now that's pot-comitted.