Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Tight tournament play

I know usually playing premium hands in nl tournaments is the way to go but what about when your not getting many. One of the problems I've been having in tournaments lately is being short stacked at the end. While playing mostly premium hands, opponents tend to read me very easily and fold fairly often when I bet. It has helped me to last longer in tournaments but has almost put me at somewhat of a disdavantage later in tournaments. By only playing premium hands early on, I'm almost forced to play mediocre hands toward the end of tournaments because I'm often short-stacked. Anyone have ideas on how to get fix this problem? I'd like to be able to be a strong player even when I'm not getting great cards the whole night. It's much easier to win when your getting the cards.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Tight tournament play

If they keep folding, you should raise with any 2 cards when folded to you in late position. Make sure to start doing this before your stack gets too small (ie less than 10BB). If they play back at you, just fold and then they'll know you were betting garbage and will start giving you action on your big hands.

This an oversimplification of course, but I think you know what you have to do.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Tight tournament play

You're having the same problem I am. For me, it seems tight tournament play is great the first hour or so while the blinds are low. Once the blinds start to get up there a bit (say, 75/100 or 100/200) you need to open up and start stealing them a bit more often. This will help you survive with a bit more chips until you actually get a hand to really play with. Watch a tournament in about hour 4 and you'll see that the game is all about stealing the blinds and antes. It's something I've started to really work on. I haven't made it in the money as many times, but when I do make it in the money, it's in a lot higher position. For me, I'll take that trade-off. Hope this helps!

Robbie