Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 10:20 PM

Default how did i play this? (ATs in the cutoff, flopping an OESD)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t4850)
SB (t1730)
BB (t860)
<font color="#C00000">UTG (t3200)</font>
UTG+1 (t3845)
UTG+2 (t360)
MP1 (t1880)
MP2 (t4180)
MP3 (t1170)
<font color="#C00000">Heroine (t1180)</font>

Preflop: Heroine is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t100, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t100, MP2 calls t100.

Flop: (t900) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets t300</font>, SB folds, UTG calls t300, MP2 folds.

am i too aggressive betting out with a board 3-straight?

Turn: (t1500) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Heroine checks.

if not, should i have bet the turn, here?

River: (t1500) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets all-in t680</font>, UTG calls t680.

Final Pot: t2180

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 9s Ac (straight, nine high).
Heroine has Td Ad (straight, ten high).
Outcome: Heroine wins t2180. </font>
Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: how did i play this? (ATs in the cutoff, flopping an OESD)

with two limpers and your good position, i'd do a little more than min-raise preflop. at least 3xBB.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 AM

UTG played this hand pretty atrociously...Id muck that A9o preflop...and be sure too muck it after you minimum raised...and once I caught TPTK and saw you make a strong bet Id either move you in or fold. Hard to play a hand worse than he-she played it.

Im assuming you minimum raised so people like this would feel compelled to sweeten a pot you probably have the best hand in(perhaps you play alot of limit?)...still I think you should probably raise a little more or just move in preflop. @ 10X the BB you need to act fairly decisisvely IMHO.

p.s.
If, on the other hand, you minimum raised to advertise more strength than you actually had Id say nice move but it might be lost on lower buyin online opponents IMHO.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:07 AM

pre-flop: i would not min-raise in that spot. (to tell the truth, i would not min-raise in that position with any hand). i would push, raise to ~350, or limp behind. pushing is appealing because you could win 350, a large amount relative to your stack, but no individual would have good odds to call your fairly large push. i'd make it 350 with AA/KK, a hand that i want action on. my prefered play with ATs is to limp, unless you think there's a decent chance that one of the three remaining players will raise. if that is the case, push.

flop: i'd push. there's a good chance that you'll be able to pick up the pot right now, and your bet would be a reasonable-sized bet. you could have as many as 8+3+2 = 13 outs, which would give you a nearly 50% chance to win. with the money in the pot, that's a good result for you. more likely you'll have 8+3 = 11 outs, but that's still fine given the money in the pot. and the most likely result is that your push will not be called. (as it turned out, you'd have had 11 outs.)

betting a small amount leaves you in an awkward position for later. if your straight card gets there, it will be obvious and there's a good chance you won't get paid off. there's also some chance you'll get called by a hand like AQ or AJ, which would mean that an A would just make you go broke. going all-in will likely end the hand there, and if not, you'll be in pretty good shape against anything but T6 or JT.

turn and river are fine.

btw, i live right near davis. go sox!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM

thanks for the feedback. yeah, i play more limit than no limit, so i was betting preflop to sweeten it up a bit, but still wanted to be able to get away from it if the flop was completely unfriendly.