Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Help! How to adjust play for trappers?

I just started playing for small stakes online last fall and have done a lot of reading and practicing on Turbo Holdem and the one thing that leaves me defenseless are players who will just limp with big pairs.

If they reraise me before the flop that tips me off, but many times I'll have say QQ and the flop will come ten-high.
I'll think I'm golden when I put them on AT they bet on the flop.

The same thing happens when I have AT and they just call with queens behind me, and I think I have the best pair with top kicker on the same type of flop.

Also, are there any starting hand or preflop strategy changes that you would make in a game that contains at least one or two of these players? I am thinking that maybe AQ goes down in value, and maybe not raising the pot in lp with hands like QJs, JTs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Help! How to adjust play for trappers?

Don't spend too much time worrying about it. You're already taking note of the people who limp/reraise with big pairs, and that's good.

As for the people who limp with big pairs behind other limpers: Don't worry about them. They're leaving money on the table in the long run.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:05 PM

quit always putting your opponent on a hand you can beat
Old 01-08-2005, 01:11 PM

It all depends on their postflop play. If they "slowplay" in order to wake up with a turn checkraise, it really doesn't matter whether their preflop game is overpassive with KK or overloose with T5o. If they never get aggressive, you have to see their total range of hands to decide whether value betting marginal-to-decent hands is worthwhile.