Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 10:13 AM

Default question about applying knowledge

i have read some books about texas hold em, and learned a great deal about the game. the only problem is, when i sit down to a table and play, i get to caught up in the atmosphere and the cards, and i don't use the strategies that i have learned. is there any advice that anyone could give me telling me how to remember to use the strategies that i learn, also some advice on how to use the strategies at the poker table. thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: question about applying knowledge

I tape post-it notes to my monitor to remind me of concepts
I am trying to be aware of. Right now I have "Fish Call", "No Free Cards", "Adjust to your Image" and a list of my top-ten money losing hands.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:00 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BLUFFOON. COULD SOME OTHER PEOPLE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO APPLAY THE KNOWLEDGE THAT THEY LEARN.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:55 PM

You want to have a game plan mapped out clearly at this point. Write it down. And then write down each time you deviate from it. Eventually you'll get sick of writing about the same stuff over and over again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's something that should help. You need to think of your place in the game in terms of following through with your poker skills. Forget about other stuff such as wanting action, being entertained, being distracted by the play of others, changing the plan on the fly, etc. The time to change your game plan is never in the heat of battle. Write down your ideas and later, after the game, you can give them the thought they deserve.

I wouldn't fret too much about this though - this is fairly common for new players. Eventually it will become more second nature, and you'll cut down a lot on your references to carnal knowledge [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-09-2005, 01:10 PM

any other advice?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any other advice?

[/ QUOTE ]If he had any more advice don't you think he would have posted it. Seriously though play more hands and try your best there isnt really gonna be a shortcut to winning poker. Sure "studying" the game will help but without playing thousands of hands those ten books you read are probably gonna make you weak tight, weird random aggressive, or just the average fish if you don't pay attention to them. The books can't outline hardly any of the many situations you will find yourself in.