Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 12:16 AM

Default I keep showing up at the final table with no chips

So that's basically the problem. I'm a winning 20/40 player and play several days a week. I have played 12 MTT's, mostly $120 RA Satellites for the Bay 101 WPT event. I have made 5 final tables. My best finish was third. Only one time was I not one of the short stacks. I must be doing something right, just not right enough. OK, I don't have a specific question, but any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: I keep showing up at the final table with no chips

Hank-

MTT Rule #1: Never fold your way to the final table if the tourney has a standard payout structure (i.e. all second table finishers get the same payout, or at least basically the same payout like Party) *unless* you are a big stack.

As a short/medium stack at the final two tables, you want to be very aggressive so that you can accumulate chips to make your run for first. Many players will be playing overly tight so you can steal from them. The big stacks will be bullying too much so you can resteal from them.

Whatever happens, make a stand before you get too short. There isn't any difference between 18th and 11th (usually), and there isn't much difference between 18th and 8th or 9th so you have nothing to lose. Get aggressive and go for the gold (unless several others are doing this, in which case you should play very tight and look for opps to double up against dominated hands [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]).

I don't make as many final tables playing that way as I would if I played tighter, but I make more top 3 finishes than I otherwise would. At least that's what I'm hoping. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Later,
Che
Old 01-08-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: I keep showing up at the final table with no chips

Do you play alot of NLH generally??
Oh, and congrats on being a winning 20-40 player...if I could beat that game Id probably just play my ringames and make my quiet 2000 a week..Hell I can barely beat a 2-4 LIMIT game(where is that Lee Jones book again...). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MORE IMPORTANT
Also play a few STT or single table satellites if you get the chance this will acclimate yourself to short handed play which becomes key at about 3 tables on in. I agree with the above post that is when you want to play a little faster but as in STT play i also think you need to switch gears a few times so people dont start keying in on you read wise.