Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Inside the Poker Mind by Feeney

Hello all, my roommate at college picked this up the other day. I was wondering if I should give this a read through or just skip this and start on the next book on my list, which is SSH. I play both limit and NL holdem on the internet. If it matters, the books I've read so far are, in order...
Ken Warren Teaches Texas Holdem (hold the laughter)
Super System
HPFAP
Championship No Limit and Pot Limt by Cloutier

... Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 'Stosh
Old 01-07-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Inside the Poker Mind by Feeney

i think inside the poker mind is a great book.

for NL i would read harrington on hold em - the best NL book i have read.

for limit here is a copy of a list i posted earlier.
Below find several books that will help your limit game.

SMALL STAKES HOLD 'EM by Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth.
A great book on small stakes Hold 'em. Not for the beginner. It incorporates a lot of the principles of the two below books ('Hold 'em for Advanced Players" and "Theory of Poker"). A must read for all players.

HOLD'EM POKER FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS by David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth
Considered the most important advanced work on the game today. Full of strategic concepts. Another must read for all players. However, it is not simple to a new player, and might take time to digest much of what is written. As most here know David Sklansky is considered the foremost poker author in the world. You will learn an incredible amount from this book.

THEORY OF POKER by David Sklansky
This is the best poker book I have ever read. Poker concepts that all serious players must know. A great book. Somewhat complex the first time you read it.

WINNING LOW LIMIT HOLD `EM 2nd Edition by Lee Jones
A good book for the player who knows a little and now wants to learn strategy. Very straight forward, very clear. The book is not always correct. It also makes things too simple, and does not advocate aggressive play. However, there is currently a gap in the poker literature, no complete beginners book exists. Therefore, I think this is a must for all new players.

MIDDLE LIMIT HOLDEM by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier
A terrific book filled with problems and answers. I see many posts at this site that if said poster had read this book they would not be asking the question.

INSIDE THE POKER MIND by John Feeney
A wonderful book that will help all players and make them more money. It helps players find the tools to think on a higher level as they play. For most players the first 30 pages alone will dramacticly improve their game, and correct very common mistakes.

POKER ESSAY'S Volume I, II, & III
I find as my poker improves I get more and more out of these terrific books.

I want to reiterate a point that I have made in other posts. I reread all these books often. I find the more I understand about the game, the more I get out of each book
Old 01-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Yep, you should read it. Great book.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:13 PM

Don't be so hard on Ken Warren's book. The first time I went to a B & M poker room, I just walked up to a table and sat down. I didn't know you were suppose to see the brush and get your name on the board. I didn't know what that little plastic chip was that had dealer spelled out on it. His book outlines some of the very basic etiquette we take for granted. Everyone needs to start somewhere.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 AM

Inside the Poker Mind is a great book, you should read it. I don't think it matters if you read SSH or ItPM first, they are both excellent. ItPM is essay based, so you can read it in small pieces. SSH may require longer sittings, since the chapters are considerably longer. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Every 2+2 book on poker is worth reading...

I have to laugh at all these posts that ask for a specific order in which to read all of these 2+2 books.

When it comes to poker, 2+2 books are the best, period. Any poker books by 2+2 are worth reading, in any order.

You have two mathematicians and professional gamblers giving strategy advice, which is entirely different from a typical poker author, who may know how to hustle his totally clueless opponents at the table, but little else.

I have to chuckle at the absolutely ridiculous, clearly false advice that pervates the gambling literature. When a book is published by 2+2, you know that the basic ideas are mathematically sound. Differences arise in the application of the ideas.

Having said that, I'd vote for Miller's Small Stakes Hold 'em first. That will be more directly applicable to online play. Then move on to Feeney's book.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:07 PM

Forget the order. Just read them, understand them, and apply the concepts properly. ITPM is an informative book, and I believe you'll enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM

Learn the concepts of SSH and TOP really good first. ITPM is great for sharpening a player which already knows how to play good poker.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play both limit and NL holdem on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help you with NL, but for limit, SSH is the best for the modern, loose games. You've already got that, which is good. I would also recommend Internet Texas Hold'em: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro by Matthew Hilger.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Default ITPM applicable to tournament?

ITPM has been in my 'buy' queue for quite sometime, but other books seem to keep bumping it down. Since I'm now focused 100% on NL hold 'em tournament, I'm wondering if it's applicable. I seem to recall someone here saying it was focused on limit ring hold 'em (kind of like 'HPFAP Pt 2') - is that accurate? I just looked at the table of contents at Amazon. I'm pretty curious about the following chapters:
<ul type="square"> [*]Why I Don't Play Tournaments [*]Are Tournaments Poker?[*]Are Tournaments Bad For Poker?[/list]Pasta