Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Do I just suck at limit ring games?

Playing some 1/2 HE to roll over a bonus. Buy-in with $100 at 4 tables, within 90 minutes I have lost $75. Normally rolling over bonuses I do alright, up until this current streak I've been slightly up on 1/2 HE (rather small sample, 1,000-1,500 hands maybe). My last bonus ($100, 500 hand rollover) was yesterday I cleared it in about 2.5 hours 4-tabling, I was down $30 or so actually playing, and now I'm not even half-way done clearing another 500 hands and I'm down $75.

I realize swings in this game are massive, but I have a feeling it might also be partially a leak in my game. No high PPs are holding for me, people with ridiculous hands are winning pots left and right, maybe I'm just not cut out for ring low-limit? I do well in SNGs, although that's a completely different game, and used to do well in ring, but I just can't seem to do well now.

Is 1/2 HE really all that profitable for people in general?
One thing in particular that has been bothering me, what do you raise with PF in a 1/2 HE game such as this? I've been only raising QQ-AA (JJ, maybe 1010 if I'm LP with no callers), and AKs. I've been getting well-beaten with my AKs so far, and my QQ-KK usually.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Do I just suck at limit ring games?

[ QUOTE ]
but I have a feeling it might also be partially a leak in my game.... I've been only raising QQ-AA (JJ, maybe 1010 if I'm LP with no callers), and AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ship is sinking. Just kidding, tight pfring alone isn't the reason you are losing, but in general, you probabaly are a bit too conservative given your SnG background. It'll take some effort, but 1-2 is easily beatable. Go buy SSHE and start posting if you desire to get better, because you will if you put in the time.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing in particular that has been bothering me, what do you raise with PF in a 1/2 HE game such as this? I've been only raising QQ-AA (JJ, maybe 1010 if I'm LP with no callers), and AKs. I've been getting well-beaten with my AKs so far, and my QQ-KK usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! I was about to give you the ol' sample size line when I read this. Looks like you need to do some studying. Post hands you don't think you played well in the Micro forum.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Should I really be raising much more than that in these games? I'll raise AKo sometimes, but I've definitely been limping with any other AQ-AT. Any links to threads that post good recs on hands to raise in these games? I'm pretty confident I'm playing reasonably well post-flop, and my starting hand selection has been alright I think. Granted, it's been a few years since I've played full ring HE, so maybe I'm just out of touch.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM

I don't normally play ring HE as I said, but is it worth it to buy PokerTracker given that the ONLY time I play ring HE is to roll over bonuses?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Yes.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:27 PM

I'm not familiar with PT's tournament capabilites, but there are some.

I say buy it. It's only a half a bonus.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:28 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Buy-in with $100 at 4 tables,

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a thought. Until you can prove to yourself that you can beat a limit game, stick to no more than 2 tables.

b
Old 01-07-2005, 06:29 PM

the issue, as i see it, isn't the small sample size. the issue here is your ability to emotionally handle the downswings that are inevitable. what you have experienced is a weekly, if not daily, occurance for most regular players. if you are going to question your ability every time something like this happens, you should stop playing. you'll give yourself an ulcer.

cheers!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:32 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty confident I'm playing reasonably well post-flop, and my starting hand selection has been alright I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given what you've said in your initial post, I doubt it. Start with preflop play. Not just the hands you pick to come in with, but how to play the hands. Then build from there.

b