Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Default starting hands

in loose low limit games such as 1-2 or 2-4 is it profitable to play drawinng hands.

for example: if in early position is it a good idea to play low 3-flushes and 3-straights such as 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
or 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

should these only be played in late position when there a bunch of limpers in front of you, or can you limp in early position

should big flushes be played in early position such as : A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
or big 3-straights such as 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Thanks for helping a newbie to stud figure out profitable play on 3rd street
Old 01-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: starting hands

IMO you should muck the low straight draws in this spot everytime. To play the low 3 flush you should be looking at several factors including the liveness of your flush cards, the aggressiveness of the remaining players and what their upcards are, as well as the size of the bringin compared to a completion. When considering what to do with the big 3 straight, consider the liveness of your K's and 9's first then the liveness of 8's and Aces, also consider the liveness of your pairing cards and what other players are showing and whether they will play or not if you limp or complete. With the aq9 3 flush I would be more inclined to bring it in for a raise if aces or queens as well as hearts were somewhat live. The size of the ante should also be considered, when playing these hands, a larger ante usually means more raising early so before you limp consider whether you are willing to pay a completion.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM

I think they often can be more profitable than big pairs because the hands are often multiway and no amount of raising will get a hand heads up. THe big flushes are almost always playable. The only time I wouldn't play it if it is reasonably live is for 3 bets. The 456 isnt good by any means, but if you can limp in cheaply it may be worth it...this depends on the table i.e. whether you think it will be raised behind you, etc.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:10 PM

If it is passive game, meaning not a lot of raising so you can see 4th street for cheap, I'd play any live 3 flush including Th-6h-3h.

If it is a aggressive game I would not play the small flushes but I would play the big flush Ah-Qh-3h. A live Ah-Qh-3h, especially if your Aces are live, is about as good a draw hand you can expect to start out with. If you can expect multiple players you can play that for a raise or two.

I'd never play the small straights up front. I think I only play them when I am last one in for the bring-in. And even then I don't think you lose any EV if you always dump them.

I'd play the bigger straights if the game is passive. If it is very aggressive I'd dump them. If it is somewhere in between I'll limp and reevaluate when it comes back to me if raised, reraised, etc.

No matter what make sure your cards are live no matter which hand you decide to play.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:49 AM

In a typical, loose-passive low-limit game, I will play any three-flush as long as no more than two of my cards are out. This is probably a little too loose, but like to think I out-play my opponents on the later streets. To be sure, you can play any three-flush with one card out. With a big three-flush, you should consider raising, depending on the liveness of your flush cards and pair cards.

Straight draws are another matter. Most players lose money on them, and I don't make much. The problem with 654 in particular, is that if you have enough players in to give you the odds to draw to your straight, it becomes too likely that someone will beat your straight. QJT is much better, because you can win by making a big pair or two pair, and this hand is actually better in a short-handed pot than in a multi-way pot, in my opinion.