Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 PM

Default KQs from early position to top pair against a flop raise

This hand bugged me. What do you guys think the correct play here is? reraise the flop, where does that get me? I had no read on the raiser. If UTG had called or raised the river I would have been more inclined to fold but I still think I'm beat by the MP2 on the river.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Bodi is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Bodi raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, Bodi calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Bodi bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, Bodi calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Bodi checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG calls, Bodi calls.

River: (13 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Bodi checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG folds, Bodi calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 01-06-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: KQs from early position to top pair against a flop raise

I like the flop bet if you can rely on MP2 to protect your hand for you.
I bet/call this turn, as you still have top pair (3 outs assuming you're behind AK right now, 5 if you're behind AA) and the flush draw (9 outs). I also don't want to give a free card here.

-d
Old 01-06-2005, 01:45 PM

There's no reason to fold anywhere. Pot is large and you have outs, and I wouldn't fold top pair to one bet on the river.

The only reason to bet the turn is if you think it will get checked through, fearing giving a free card to UTG. But it seems unlikely, and I prefer check/call check/call. (obviously, unless you hit your flush on the river)
Old 01-06-2005, 02:13 PM

Thanks, the guy had AQ of spades so he hit his flush on the river, but I was ahead on the flop and turn. It doesnt seem correct to call the raise on the flop, and then bet out on the turn unimproved. However, in this case I think with the turn giving me the four flush maybe I should have bet out because even if he raises with AK or AA I have the redraw, and then I would avoid the dredded check through. River I'm probably beat but I have to call because overpair with reasonable pot. Do you guys agree with this reasoning?