Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Default 2 hands from BB heads up.... Pair - no kicker.

<font color="purple">I have 2 hands from the BB that I would like comments on.

I guess I'm still thinking in terms of full ring games.

In both hands, I felt that my hand was too weak to bet it, and the pot was too small to go to war.

During review (hand trading w/ aflaba), aflaba pointed out that both hands I should have bet the flop.

Is this standard?</font>

Hand 1

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (1.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 2.20 BB

Hand 2:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (1.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 2.20 BB
Old 01-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from BB heads up.... Pair - no kicker.

I'd have bet both flops.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:32 PM

Yes, the pot is small, but I would guess you have about a 50% chance against an unknown to pick it up with a bet getting 1 to 2.4.
I would bet both flops.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:44 AM

I would normally bet or sometimes check/raise the flop in both hands.

When the flop is checked through, I would bet the turn in both hands. In hand 1, not betting second pair on the turn is criminal. Second pair is a strong hand heads up, especially against a late position limper.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 AM

In hand one there is very little chance you are losing. If you think your opponent will bet anytime you check again you should checkraise the turn. Under no circumstances should you fold this hand or any ace high.

-Michael
Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 AM

I didn't really look at hand two the first time through, but these turn folds were major mistakes. I think you worry too much about the small pot. It's possible you're beaten in the second hand, but not likely in the first, and both still have a significant equity edge. Think about the hands: they've gone check, check, check, and now the last player in a heads up pot decides to fire out a bet. I'm much more concerned that you wouldn't realize how significant your chances of being good in this situation are than that you chose not to bet the flop.

-Michael
Old 01-06-2005, 05:55 AM

I bet both flops even without the pair [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You are not impressed with your hand; fair enough. However, what makes you think that your opponent will be impressed with theirs?

In the actual hands you are favourite to be ahead on the flop in both cases. Value bet (or CR an aggressive (most?) players)

T