Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Anyone play any Stud 8 or O8 tourneys?

The other night I started playing some Stud 8 $10+1s for fun. I've had such good success early I've continued to play them for fun, and threw some O8s in there also. I've played O8 tourneys before, but can't remember how well I did although I know I profited. So far here are my finishes in Stud 8:
O8:
1,3 (since I started playing again)

Obviously this sample is incredibly small at this point, but it seems most people don't know how to play split-pot games, especially in tournaments. So, does anyone play a lot of these? Can you expect your ROI to be higher than in NL if you learn how to play the game reasonably well?
Old 01-05-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Anyone play any Stud 8 or O8 tourneys?

I think that stud 8b $10+1 are the actually the best tournaments to play at the limit. They are very easy to beat, even if your experience with stud 8b is just reading the ray zee book. I think that you can achieve a higher ROI playing $10+1 stud 8b tourneys than $10+1 NLHE tourneys. That being said, I would not advise playing the stud 8b tournaments unless you really enjoy the game. At higher buyins, stud 8b tourneys are sparse. If you aspire to playing at higher buyins then I would definitely go with the NLHE tourneys for the experience. As for O8 tourneys, I do not think that those are as high ROI for an experienced player as the others. The game is too luck oriented when the blinds increase. Although there is room to push edges in this format, I would guess you could not get a very high ROI.

If you are interested in stud 8b tourneys, I would actually advise the $15+1 stud 8b turbo tournaments on pokerstars. They are very easy to beat, since most of your edge comes from your tight aggressive play at the higher blinds anyway.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:35 PM

I played exclusively PLO-8 SNGs for a few months because I am primarily an omaha player.

My ROI is slightly less at omaha than at NLHE SNGs, even though I am a much better omaha player. I believe that the split-pot nature of the game makes it harder for players to give their money away as fast as they would like.

I don't believe that the limit split-pot SNGs are beatable enough to make it worth your time. Pot limit is much more beatable, but still not as lucrative as NLHE

Irieguy
Old 01-05-2005, 06:54 PM

Stud & Stud8 SnG's & multis are a blast. I play them for a change of pace. Even if they play stud ring reasonably well, their lack of tournament theory kills them.

(Edit: $5-$20 SnG's & turbos on Stars, & also up to $30 multis)
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM

I normally play $20 or $30 NLHE SNGs at Party, but a bad streak led me to blow off some steam at the $10+1 Stud8s. After a few more O8 SNGs I have come to the conclusion those are too much luck-oriented, even though I have a much better grasp on O8 than Stud8. I actually find Stud8 to be fun though, O8 is extremely boring to me. I think I'm going to check out the $15+1 on Stars just as a change of pace when I'm fed up with NL SNGs. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:06 PM

I feel the same way. They're fun for me, even more fun than NLHE I think. I'm going to signup at Stars and see what their tourneys are like, I play in the $20-30 range of NL on Party so hopefully I can add in some Stars $20 to mix it up more often.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:38 PM

Stars $20 stud is way soft on weekends, but takes forever to fill. A late night $10 or $20 multi is the ticket, though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 PM

I have gone almost exclusively NLHE 20-30 SNG's but
I play some stud 8b for fun as well. I forgot about them until this post....partly because they are so slow to fill. I seem to do better in the stud 8b tourneys as well. Seems in late stages they turn into primarily high stud. Which is what I grew up on. ( not that I'm grown up...)

I made the mistake one night of multi tabling both a holdem and a stud 8......I'm way too easy to confuse....

hyde
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 AM

I could've sworn I saw you in one of my tourneys I just finished. I played 3 regular $5+.50 and took 1st, 2nd, 1st, and played a $15+1 Turbo and went out in 5th.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 AM

You were hallucinating, tonight was 2+2 SnG night - I play stud about once a month.