Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Alcohol, been sober for 9 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

I used to drink heavy, about 5-9 drinks almost every day for years. I'm 25 now and been 100% sober for 10 monthes now. I've read on the internet that alcohol is good for you in moderation, about 1-3 drinks per day. I'm thinking about trying that. Is this ok? Will it hurt my game?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Alcohol, been sober for 9 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

What do you mean by 'a drink'? Shot of whiskey, pint of beer etc? If you quit drinking and have remained sober this long because you felt you had a problem, I would highly recommend not starting again simply because you read on the internet that a couple of drinks a day is good for you.

I read on the internet that 4000 Jews didn't turn up for work on September 11th due to the vast Zionist conspiracy. I don't think that's true.

I believe it has been shown that a glass of red wine per day is good for your heart - as for your poker game, a drink can hardly hurt, however I know that if I play drunk (live or on the internet), I loosen up and am way more inclined to gamble, chasing draws without odds etc.

So I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Used to drink str shots, mixed drinks, but mostly beer.
I was thinking about it not just becasue I read on a website, but becasue my life has been very dull lately, and maybey a drink or two during the day would make me feel better, and make my life better in general. Would this be a good idea?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM

I can't pretend to know your situation. But, it sounds to me like your making excuses. I do the same thing every time I try to quit smoking. Ask yourself why you quit in the first place. If you had a serious problem which caused you to stop completely, why do you think "a drink or two" would make it better? Do you really think you can keep yourself at one or two and not get back into old habits?

It's really your call. But if you had bad experiences in the past I would be VERY careful.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Having treated patients with problem drinking for years, I can only say to you that there is NO BENEFIT from alcohol worth the slide it will cause back into problem drinking. My advice to you is the same I give to anyone in your situation. DON'T DO IT. NO, NOT EVEN ONE DRINK.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:24 PM

1 drink of wine a day can be good... but you can get those same benefits and antioxidants from grape juice, so if you're had problems in the past why risk it??

Plus, if you're saying 1-3, then thats a horrible idea. No way that 3 drinks per day can possible be "good" for your health. Also, if you start doing that, how easy will it be for you to say, "well if 3's good, then 4-5 can't be THAT bad"... then you'll quickly be back to, or close to the 5-9 where you were before.

Not sure what this has to do with poker theory, but bad idea overall.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:58 PM

1-2 drinks per day is okay for someone w/no previous alcohol history and no genetic predisposition. for you, i'd say stay away from the stuff entirely and get your antioxidents elsewhere [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 PM

1) Start drinking again to improve your health?
2) Start drinking again because you are bored?

Sounds funny doesn't it (I am sure funnier to some than others)?

1) No. Join a health club.
2) No. Get some hobbies, do volunteer work, go back to school, get involved in a relationship. etc.

Congratulations for staying sober for 10 months, and I truly mean that. I know from first hand experiences through friends and family that it can be very hard. Sounds like you are in a rut right now that can cause you to fall of the wagon. Don't. You might want to talk to someone who can help you stay on it and maybe even help you to find stuff to do.

Good luck.

Vike
Old 01-05-2005, 06:16 PM

1) Congrats on being sober for 10 months!
2) You are about to make a decission that you know is bad but you are making excuses to rationalize it (ie. drinking is fun) However you were smart enough to realize that it is a bad decission and as a cry for help you posted on this forum so that we could dissuade you from doing so. Good for you! You know that this is a bad idea because 1 drink always leads to 2 to 3... to 8... to alcoholism, especially with your disposition. Even if it does not the potential thta you become a problem drinker again and the effect that it will have on your personal relationships, job, and to a much lesser extent pokergame is a big enough potential -EV to far outweight the +EV of having 1 glass of red wine with dinner.
3) Those same studies that say 1 glass of red wine is good for you say that drinking 3+ drinks a day is bad for your body due to liver/kidney, other problems that it causes. You are using a study to rationalize your addiction don't do it.
4) I am going to make a suggestion that I am almost positive that you wont heed but I feel that I should make anyway. GO TO AN AA MEETING! Get a sponsor, talk to someone about your desire to start drinking again. This will be one of the best things that you can possibly do for yourself.

Congrats on 10 months of sobriety. Hopefully it will continue. Good Luck at staying sober and good luck on the green felt.

-Steve
Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM

This must be a wind-up surely? No one in their right mind could think this is a good idea.

ZB

Apologies if you're serious, but my incredulity only serves to show that it's probably not a good idea to go back to drinking.