Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 AM

Default First Limit Hold Em Pot i earned

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 01-05-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: First Limit Hold Em Pot i earned

ummmm. . .
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 AM

You're not gonna like to hear this, but you played that hand terribly.

Fold it preflop, check/fold it on the flop, check/fold on the turn, and check/fold on the river.

You got away with this one, but that was absolutely terrible play that will cost you money in the long run.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:12 AM

im not a savant shorthanded player by any means, but raising Ax vs the blinds seems like a good play to me in that spot. definitely not a fan of the postflop play tho :/
Old 01-05-2005, 04:37 PM

My thinking: Calling because this guy had been raising with junk preflop and I was pretty sure my Ace was good. Leading because it looked like a relatively ragged flop, and he would give it up if he didnt hit. Turn bet I guess was for info. River play was this. Check as if I have been betting a 5 or a weak queen. He bets, thinking (i think he was on a draw) I raise, because calling is certainly not an option, and well, say what you will about reads in online limit hold em, but I recently have been able to read boards pretty well, maybe its just results oriented thinking tho. Ok, my bets on the flop and turn were bad, was the raise on the river that bad? can you really see him with an 8?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:40 PM

I'm about 90% sure you bluff-checkraised him with the best hand.

This is a tricky hand to play postflop, given the fact that A3o is best before the flop against the majority of hands he has. Usually I'll check-call, check-call, bet-fold, sometimes check-call, check-raise-fold...there are tons of lines to take and none of them feel very comfortable.

I'd post this in the HUSH forum for advice -- I don't like your bluff-checkraise because you'll be called by better hands far too often, especially against a bad player, but it may have been a good bluff-value-checkraise. Occasionally you'll spook a player off of a better ace-high as well.

Rob