Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 02:29 AM

Default 88 Hand

7 Handed 2-5 game.

BB and I each have around 425, CO has about 150, other than that no real info on anyone.

I have 88 on the button.

Fold to CO who opens for $10, I call.

BB raises to $15, CO calls, I call.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

BB leads out for $20, CO calls, I make it $90.

BB re-raises to $180.

Turn: Blank

BB goes all-in, you do what?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: 88 Hand

The turn is the wrong time to be considering a fold. Once I decide not to fold to the reraise on the flop, the only question left is how I'm getting my money in the pot. With no reads your opponent likely has AA/KK/AK/JJ with some chance of worse holdings. You may want to tighten up preflop until you have some sort of read on your opponents if you're completely lost at what range of hands they have at this stage in a hand.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:43 AM

I'm not lost on what he may have, what I'm wondering is if I can fold and not think about it for a week.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 AM

Calling the flop and folding the turn is completely inconsistent. There's only one card in the deck that can improve you and you KNOW he will fire again on the turn. You made your decision to continue with the hand on the flop. If you fold the turn you should definately feel sick about it since you gave away an extra $90 on the flop when you had no intention of continuing to the end.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:07 AM

I see what you're saying, I made the focal point of my post the turn decision, which was a mistake.

I agree once I call his first raise I can't fold the turn. You're right on his range of hands too, they're pretty narrow. My question is, does he have AA enough here to call?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:18 AM

There's no real way to answer that without more information. If this were a shorthanded partypoker game folding would hardly even register as an option. In a passive game I may think differently. The fact that he min-reraised preflop makes things even more confusing since that's nearly always a sign of a player that doesn't understand proper NL strategies. And if their betting doesn't have any logical thought behind it, then you have no chance of determining their hand based upon their betting. Personally I would not fold given the information available because it appears that your opponent is a poor player and could make these moves with quite a few hands that you beat.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:04 AM

I know what you're saying about the more information thing. Without it, I don't think I can fold here, even though he probably only has three hands he would play like this, and two of them have me slaughtered.

I did end up calling, I didn't want to but I did, because laying down sets online isn't something I make a habit of (probably twice, both with a read). So I called, and he showed me KK.