Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Default BIG Problem: I\'m running too well

Let me tell you about my big problem. To some of you it may seem absurd. Others may be able to relate.

Long story:
About a week ago, I found $120 worth of bookstore gift cards in my wallet, and ordered a few poker books, including HEFAP, because although I had been a NL50 player up to this point, I wanted to learn to play mid stakes limit better. Anyways, after reading HEFAP, I jumped into the 3/6 limit games at Party, and since then have been on an unbelievable run. In 3 days, 2300 hands at 3/6, i was up almost 230BB. Today, I've started playing some 5/10 6-max and after 230 hands, I'm up 39BB. All in all, I'm up $1750 in 4 days. However, the problem is that I'm almost EXPECTING to flop sets, and hit my gutshots. Reviewing my play at 5/10 6-max, I've realized that some of it is horrible. I'm playing way too aggressive, treating my 4-outers as if they are 10-outers, playing mediocre hands out of position. While I'm still hitting my gutshots and sets this isn't a huge problem, but I am extremely afraid of what is going to happen once I start to run bad, and how this might affect my play and profitability.

Short story:
I've been on a ridiculous run over the past few days, and I've hit so many gutshots and sets that I'm practically expecting them to occur now, and I'm playing accordingly.

Has this happened to anyone else here?
And what do you think I can do, either to immediately repair the problem, or to guard against a potential large downswing?

Even if all you can tell me is to smarten up and start focusing on my play, I would appreciate it. Even though I know statisically that a bad run of cards is no more likely to occur now than it was a month ago, I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to hit a big downswing soon.

Anyways, sorry for the length of this post, and sorry for essentially whining about how good I've been running.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: BIG Problem: I\'m running too well

This is a problem that will be taking care of itself shortly. There's no need for you to be concerned. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Same thing happened to me when I started out. Huge rush at 5/10. Had a VP$IP of ~40%, and was Mr. Aggro. Felt like I was a Poker God.

During the crash, I lost it all except 60BB. Just something you gotta go through once, I think. But hey, you know you're playing like an idiot, maybe you don't.

But like I said. Either you fix the problem, or it fixes itself. No biggie [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-04-2005, 03:59 PM

I would stop playing for a little while. Read some books or change to a slightly different game. I had a similiar run not too long ago where my bankroll surged from ~2200 to 5k in about 10 days playing 3-6 and 5-10 and then for the next week or two after that I was obsessed with finding ways to keep it up or make money faster. I tried 8 tabling (which I just couldn't handle... actually only got to 6 tables before I decided against it)and I tried stepping up into the 5-10 6max game with no preparation or ideas for adjusting my game I just figured I could take a shot since I had some additional BR.

Well, it didn't take me long to realize what had happened and I decided to cash out my rather substantial (for me) win and take a little break (I hadn't read SSH yet). After reading SSH and doing some other stuff I redeposited 1600 and grabbed a $200 bonus and went back to work on the 3-6 games.

So uh, take a break. Or barring a break play some live games or stud or omaha or tourneys... something to break things up so you are thinking a little more subjectively about the cards.

cjx
Old 01-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Your true test will be how you handle yourself when the big downswing hits and the more you analyze and correct your play now, the softer the downswing will hit you.

Smarten up and focus on your play.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Enjoy the good run, and make sure you remember it when the cards run the other way.

It's delightful to hear someone talking about good luck. I wish more people did it.

Regards,

Al
Old 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM

First, take some money OF THE TABLE. If that means some of your windfall from live games needs to go into a savings account, then do it.

If you are online, have a check sent.

The last thing you want is to bleed your bankroll on a downswing. A downswing after a good upswing may cause people to try to "muscle" a new upswing. And that is as effective as muscling a tornado.

After you take some money off the table, then within reason keep playing the upswing until it is over. When you "feel" the things reversing, then take a hiatus.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 PM

I recently had a run of +16BB/100 for a span of
almost 2500 hands......

Was starting to mentally write an article on how
to beat "these games"......

Ran +0.1BB/100 for the next 4200 hands.....

Just handle your emotions and try to play well.
The biggest thing is staying mentally composed
and on your game, keep reviewing the book on a
regular basis (you miss stuff, as well as sometimes
forget or misinterpret) and have lots of fun.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:23 AM

Good that you've realized you're running good.

Take all but 300$ out, put the rest to good use. Take that 300$ and grind it out at .5/1. It may seem like you're playing for pennies and wasting your time, but do it. Get up to 600$, move up to 1/2. If you ever drop down to 500$, move back down to .5/1 and build back up to 600$.

Get to 1200$, play 2/4. Same thing for dropping down (if you get to 1000$).

Study, play hard, and stop wasting your sklansky bucks.

You're not gonna wanna do this. You're gonna think "Well if I just stay at 3/6 and start playing good, I'll be fine."

That's not true, if you stay at 3/6, you will lose.

Poker's been very good to you, don't squander it. Put that $1400 somewhere safe and go down to .5/1 where you can learn without pissing your money back.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good that you've realized you're running good.

Take all but 300$ out, put the rest to good use. Take that 300$ and grind it out at .5/1. It may seem like you're playing for pennies and wasting your time, but do it. Get up to 600$, move up to 1/2. If you ever drop down to 500$, move back down to .5/1 and build back up to 600$.

Get to 1200$, play 2/4. Same thing for dropping down (if you get to 1000$).

Study, play hard, and stop wasting your sklansky bucks.

You're not gonna wanna do this. You're gonna think "Well if I just stay at 3/6 and start playing good, I'll be fine."

That's not true, if you stay at 3/6, you will lose.

Poker's been very good to you, don't squander it. Put that $1400 somewhere safe and go down to .5/1 where you can learn without pissing your money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, are you kidding me?

1) I constantly take money out of my account and deposit in my bank, I probably do this twice a month.
2) I feel that I am a profitable 3/6 player, it was only over the past day or so that I felt a bit of tilt coming on from my wins, and I think taking some time off has solved that
3) I'm sure as hell not going to cut my expected hourly rate by something like 75%
4) I was playing 0.5/1 about 8 months ago, and beating it to my satisfaction, as a result of this I moved to higher limits, which I also beat to my satisfaction. I really see no point in going back to square one and starting this over again.

I could probably think of a few other reasons as to why this post is completely ridiculous, but it's fairly late and I'm heading to bed.

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, perhaps you misunderstood my circumstances and thought I was "taking a shot" at the higher limits without proper BR and experience, but if not, I stand behind my response.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Umm, are you kidding me?

1) I constantly take money out of my account and deposit in my bank, I probably do this twice a month.
2) I feel that I am a profitable 3/6 player, it was only over the past day or so that I felt a bit of tilt coming on from my wins, and I think taking some time off has solved that
3) I'm sure as hell not going to cut my expected hourly rate by something like 75%
4) I was playing 0.5/1 about 8 months ago, and beating it to my satisfaction, as a result of this I moved to higher limits, which I also beat to my satisfaction. I really see no point in going back to square one and starting this over again.

I could probably think of a few other reasons as to why this post is completely ridiculous, but it's fairly late and I'm heading to bed.

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, perhaps you misunderstood my circumstances and thought I was "taking a shot" at the higher limits without proper BR and experience, but if not, I stand behind my response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read your first post. Nothing about it indicates that you were previously a winning player. The entire tone of the post suggests you're not much of a player and had a good run.

Ex:

[ QUOTE ]
About a week ago, I found $120 worth of bookstore gift cards in my wallet, and ordered a few poker books, including HEFAP, because although I had been a NL50 player up to this point, I wanted to learn to play mid stakes limit better. Anyways, after reading HEFAP, I jumped into the 3/6 limit games at Party, and since then have been on an unbelievable run.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have known that you had done fine at limit previously, but the only logical conclusion from that paragraph is that you've got very little experience playing limit. Read it again and act like you didn't know yourself, you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, congratuations on your run. The downswing's gonna happen sometime, but there's nothing that says the downswing should be equal to what you won, in fact, it shouldn't be.