Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Playing Aggressive Players in a Ring Game

I was wondering if I could get some advice about playing aggressive / tricky players (6 Table on-line).

There are usually many raises preflop by the aggressor. Most of them are with not so good hands I'm sure. Most of the times the flop misses me but the aggressor comes out strong with a huge bet. I know he can't always have a hand... but do I call with nothing. Most of the times I don't get good pot odds to call any draw down. And when I do (for implied odds) I usually end up losing alot of $$$ when I miss. At this level it seems more like gambling to me. Whoever has the most balls / bank roll has a huge advantage. Here is an example below:

hero: K2o
aggressor: ??

aggressor raises 3xBB (standard aggressor raise)

flop comes K 7 3

Aggressor comes out for 10xBB

Do I call with my top pair low kicker? Aggressor can have any hand including a K with higher kicker. Or should I gamble and play it down? If I do gamble, then would it no longer be a skill game but more a big balls / gambling game?

Normally on these tables you get killed if you sit and wait for a hand. It just doesn't work on GOOD tables. So my starting requirements goes down as well and I start to gamble. How can one be an on-line consistant winner gambling? It only takes 1 misread and the aggressor putting you all-in to lose your entire stack.

Can anyone chime in and be nice enough to share any experiences / knowledge that have worked for you.

Much appreciated
Old 01-04-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Playing Aggressive Players in a Ring Game

IMHO all you can do is gamble when you have K2o and hit the K. If you're going to fold it, why are you calling in the first place? Did you put him on a K or not?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:18 PM

If you put someone on a bluff and you have a hand worthy of showdown (i.e. top pair) you call. If you put someone on a bluff and you don't have a hand, you raise.

However, if you're unsure and if stacks aren't too shallow I would definitely raise here. He's not going to continue his charade in the face of counter-aggression.

Honestly though, I would probably recommend better table selection if you play against 5 other tricky, aggressive players. It can be very tough to win in a game like that unless you wait for your good hands. And then you will seldom get paid off, so there's no point in waiting to begin with.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:21 PM

I don't think calling a 3x raise from an aggro w/ K2o is +EV. Even w/ position.

However, you hit the flop and a big bet scares ya that easily? Why play that hand to begin with then?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:35 PM

The aggressor plays all sorts of hands. No betting patterns since all or MOST preflop raises are the same. So I honestly don't know what he has. All I know is that I will most probably be putting all my chips in with a mediocre hand at best. And as I said, waiting for premium hands does not work as I will get destroyed and not get paid off when I do get a hand.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Okay, that's cool.

So what you scared of once you hit your TP?

Or are you just asking whether you should just call or raise?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:07 PM

Well I hit TP low Kicker and I know the aggressor will usually put me all-in with that hand. So am I comfortable going all-in with that hand... nope.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 PM

If playing K2o is not +EV under these conditions then what is?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Okay, maybe its +EV here or maybe its not. I think its not. You got no kicker. No str8 possibilities, and its a hand that wont get much action if you hit and no one else does. Unless someone chases their draws, 2nd pair, etc.

However, given the fact that the aggro continued his PF action with a strong bet, I think if you're not comfortable pushing your stack in, you should just fold cuz most likely you'll face another big bet and will be put to the test.

In all seriousness, I would muck K2o in a second and wait for something like KT or K9 even.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:21 PM

I just went back and read your initial post again. I assume he was to act before you right? Given that you said he 'came out' with a bet.

I either think he's betting his small/medium pockets hard trying to represent the K or he has you dead to 3 outs.

I'm curious to know what you did.