Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Quote of the Month

I know that it's early in the new year but I don't think I'm going to hear a better comment from a player for a while. Yesterday I played my first live (3/6) session of the year. I'm not involved in the hand and the cards are not important. The final board contains and Ace, no flush possible and only a very remote straight draw. Early player bets, middle player calls. Player to my immediate right says " I'm going to call only because I want to see your cards ". Early player turns over Ax, middle player turns over Ax (with lower kicker). Player to my right mucks. I guess he felt that if he didn't call the river bet then he would have to close his eyes when the other players turned over their cards.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Quote of the Month

i always tell people i'm gonna call just to see the cards when i'm playing live (when i think my hand might be good). it makes them think i'm dumb, and it makes them less likely to bluff at me.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i always tell people i'm gonna call just to see the cards when i'm playing live (when i think my hand might be good). it makes them think i'm dumb, and it makes them less likely to bluff at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it occassionally as well, IF I'm last to act and no one else has already called. In this hand the first player may have been bluffing, but the other player can't be bluffing. Now our hero might be able to beat a bluff but the second player calling reduces his chances of winning to just about zero. He was going to see the cards of at least one of his opponents for free and he knew he could not win the hand. I asked him about his call after the hand. He told me he couldn't beat the board, he just wanted to see the cards.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it's necessarily an advantage to make them stop bluffing. if they're bluffing too much, then doing that has a negative advantage. if they're doing a good job of mixing in bluffs with their normal play, then you'd want them to stop bluffing... I just ripped all that off from TOP
Old 01-04-2005, 07:47 PM

I think the point is that he didn't have to call... he would have seen the cards anyways, since the bet was already called....

Freakin
Old 01-04-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the point is that he didn't have to call... he would have seen the cards anyways, since the bet was already called....

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Thnak you,
That was exactly my point. Our hero threw away a BB "Just to see the cards" as he put it when he would have seen them for free because the bet had already been called. Which is why I thought his statement was quite amusing.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's necessarily an advantage to make them stop bluffing. if they're bluffing too much, then doing that has a negative advantage. if they're doing a good job of mixing in bluffs with their normal play, then you'd want them to stop bluffing... I just ripped all that off from TOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I agree that this is sometimes neccessary to stop someone from bluffing. However, when the bet has already been called and our hero knows he can only beat a bluff, as he told me after the hand, he is making a huge mistake to call "Just to see the cards" as he put it. He's going to see them anyway........... I highly doubt that the original bettor will see that the third person left in the hand folded and think that he can bluff him anytime he wants to.....
Old 01-04-2005, 08:46 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

my response wasn't to the OP. it was to someone who said he tries to stop bluffs
Old 01-04-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true. when i said i "always" tell people i'm calling down just to see the cards, i meant i do it occasionally. often against people that may be bluffing but i can't be sure. against fools that bluff all the time, i wouldn't say such a thing.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 PM

If no one else says it, then I will. Rusty, I think that was hilarious. No substitute for a live game. Sometimes I feel the dealer should charge a separate admission fee for the entertaining comments we hear.