Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Its hard to keep emotion out of poker.

I am in a downswing at the B&M and I am not playing loose preflop and I think my play is okay but my attitude sucks.

My slide is only 100BB so well within normal variance but four losing sessions out of the last five will mess with your brain if you aren't careful.

I am going to my favorite aquarium tonight if I get my work done and if I post a losing session there, I'm taking the rest of this month off of live poker.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Its hard to keep emotion out of poker.

For many people it is not hard to keep emotion out of poker. It's IMPOSSIBLE.

Our game is intrinsically frustrating, and most of us respond emotionally to severe frustration.

The important thing is to recognize and adjust when your emotions are harming your play.

You sound as though you recognize your emotional limits. If you lose, you're going to take a break. I hope you win, but, if you lose, I hope you have the good sense to take a break before going on tilt.

Once you pass your limits, it is very easy to keep going. The results can be disastrous, both financially and psychologically.

Incidentally, I noted what appeared to be an "escape route." You said you would take a break from live play. Tilt is at least as big a problem online, and it is often MUCH bigger. If you're going to take a break, take a complete one.

Regards,

Al
Old 01-04-2005, 01:26 PM

Hi!

Just wanted to say that I find it a lot easier to go on tilt online when I sit by myself at the computer than in live games when talking to other people... so taking a break off live poker to play online to avoid tilt may be a bad idea, that said you might not react the same way to online play vs live as I do! GL!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:47 PM

Steam,

It appears circuit-breakers are part of your money management system. This concept is proven to work with institutional traders, who trade bonds etc.

All institutions that employ traders have circuit-break rules for their traders, like:

If trader loses X percent in one week, he cannot trade for a week.

If a trader loses Y percent in the past 4 weeks, he has to sit the next 4 weeks out.

If a trader loses more than 'Z' percent on a single trade, he is fired for insubordination (violating his pre-condition rules of employment, such as always risking less than 'Z' on any one trade.)

Poker players and independent traders must be accountable to themselves, since no one else is watching them.

I admire you, and your post.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 PM

I am running normal online, up some, down some, up again but with a positive trend. Just normal variance, but live play my variance is approaching abnormal. I played 3-6 last night at Caesar's In for two and one half hours and never won a pot. I didn't play loose preflop, I probably went to far with a few weak draws but not very many.

I floped an open ended straight draw from the big blind, made the straight on the turn and was beat by a 3-6h when the third heart hit the river. I raised preflop with JJ and flopped a set, another player made a straight on the turn.

None of these are bad beats or anything to get upset about, it is just unusual that none of my hands held up during two and a half hours of play. If you play tight preflop and don't get stupid post flop, normally some of your hands will be good. But sometimes, they won't.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played 3-6 last night at Caesar's In for two and one half hours and never won a pot. I didn't play loose preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you have only played for two and one half hours? That's only approx. sixty hands...equivalent to like one and a quarter hours online. Indeed, whenever I play live, which is usually for approx. nine hours, I normally have at least one span of two to three hours where I'm hardly getting any cards at all. And it's all exceedingly normal.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Al,

One of my fav parts in your book, one that I use in conversation quite a bit, especially with newer players, is how playing in winning poker you have to play somewhat unnatural as far as emotions/normal tendencies. It's not a natural way of playing.

It's quite a hurdle for many to get over. Some never get over it.

b
Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 PM

I sit down with whatever amount I am willing to lose (minimum 20BB) and when that is gone, I get up and leave. I figure if I haven't won a hand in two and one half hours, then it is not my night and 20-30BB is all I am willing to lose at one setting.

Caesar's In is 30 minutes from my home so I can easily return any time I want. When I go out of town, I take plenty of money with me and play as long as I like regardless of wins or loses.

I am a recreational player and after two or three hours of losing, poker isn't as much fun so I bail. If it truly is all one long session, it shouldn't matter how long I play. All that should matter is if I am playing well and if the game is good.

I am convinced that after that amount of time without winning a pot, if I am not on tilt, I probably will be if I continue to play. I am absolutely convinced that I don't play as well after I rebuy in a live game.

Online, I can rebuy and continue to play my "A" game. Weird but true.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 AM

Some people just naturally play better when they
don't face certain frustrations.
Examples:
-being down more than 10 BB
-getting snapped off a couple times
-getting sucked out on, and having the fish leave the game
-being UP more than 20 BB
-having to rebuy
-not getting cards for extended periods of time
-not getting drink service
-not liking the dealer

....and on, and on, and on.

I have identified my weak spots so that I can work
on them. Also, so that I will get out of the game if
it's NOT a good time to work on them.

Awarness is the key. Taking time off is always good,
there is a lot of burnout and exhaustion that goes
unrecogonized until it has had a chance to damage you.
How long to take off is personal to you.

Best, mosquito [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Its Okay DR Al, I don\'t have to sit out of poker

I posted a win so I can stay in. Up 29BB in almost five hours at my favorite aquarium. Variance was my friend again.