Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 05:47 AM

Default unbelievable maniac on Empire 15-30

Earlier today I ran into the worst player I have ever seen playing 15-30 on Empire. He routinely 3- and 4-bet preflop with any two cards, often raising and reraising all the way to the river with no pair. It seemed like he was chip-dumping, but it certainly wasn't clear that he was directing money to any one opponent. He burned through something like $2,000 in a couple of hours. Other players were doing a bad job of trying to feed off him - seems like they forgot that they had to actually have the best hand, not just a hand better than the maniac's.

I wondered if he might have got his hands on a stolen credit card, or someone else's poker login and password. What does Empire/Party/etc do about situations where it looks like someone was just dumping off chips? Is there any danger of repercussions for the players who carved him up? Isn't there a story of someone who had their account frozen (on another site) because they won a bunch of money from a player who was allegedly using a stolen credit card to deposit?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: unbelievable maniac on Empire 15-30

Did you consider the possibility that he was rich, drunk, bored, and bad at poker?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:06 AM

Hope you put him on your buddy list....or better yet...mine [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 11:05 AM

Was he "angry" ?

I had a maniac last night at the 15/30 and managed to be the only one to lose to him.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 AM

teh worst
Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 AM

It made me make some donkariffic plays too. I'm a casual player, I'm finding it hard to two table the 15/30 and keep a level head.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:52 AM

It's possible.
I think I read of a disgruntled wife or GF or something who got into her man's account and just cleaned it all out one capped round at a time.

But it's also possible he was just stupid and crazy.
Or even drunk and suicidal...I don't know.

I dealt BJ at a mostly low-roller's joint for a few months and even there we have had players who wanted to double on their hard-13 with a $500 bet up because they 'liked to gamble'.

I've played in 4/8 live games (not exactly the same I know) where a few guys capped EVERY round of EVERY hand.
They were going through $500+ swings every few hands.

Finally, I played on party a few days ago. One of the players had just won the BBJ for over $100k.
Everybody was coming to the table to congratulate him (his name was in the front lobby). I didn't even know about it when I sat down on the table but I just happened to be sitting a couple seats to his left.
Me and the guy in-between us both made around $2k apiece.
He started around V-75, R-18...but after he lost a couple of big hands he steadily rose to V-90, R-30 with the most ridiculous hands.

Even though he had won $100k+ a day or two earlier he was still steaming pretty badly about the $4k he dropped to me and the other guy.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It made me make some donkariffic plays too. I'm a casual player, I'm finding it hard to two table the 15/30 and keep a level head.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a swingy game, and some of plays blow my mind. I know what you mean though, just try not to get into a "dominating role" trying to isolate him with every mediocre or better hand you have. (i.e. 3-betting any Ace)

I see people do this all the time, and while some may advocate it, I think you wind up digging a bigger hole than you can climb out of even if your shoveling a few grains at a time.

Keeping a level head is important, and I agree can be challenging at times! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(i.e. 3-betting any Ace)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish this was the case, AA to T2s, T flop loss when the 2 hit the river, capped on every street.

Heh, thanks for the advice. FWIW, I think I have seen you at the tables lately and all your plays have looked pretty damn solid.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM

My BBJ maniac beat my AA with his J4o when he caught his J on the river.

There's a rule about maniacs somehow always beating AA or something like that.