Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Borgata Trip Report 1/2/05

Just got back from a night at the Borgata and wanted to share the experience.

Poker Room:
Got there around 3pm on Sunday afternoon and headed to the PR to get my name on the board. When I got there, there were 15 names on the 3/6 and *31* on the 2/4. I never understand why people don't step up by a couple dollars to save a couple hours wait time. The competition is the same as the 2/4 and you get an extra $2 with each BB won.

Session 1:
Got a seat around 4:30 in a live 3/6 game. Minimum 4 to the flop each hand with almost everyone staying to see the river. The gods were not overly pleasant and only gave me a few good hands through the 4 hour session. 1 hand however made the entire night and proved to me the true value of tight, patient play. After an hour of modest play, I am dealt AKo in the big blind and simply check it. Flop comes AAK. I check and call the flop with 5 people. Turn puts a flush draw on the board and I go for a check/raise. MP1 leads out, MP3 raises, Button cold calls, and I re-raise. MP3 re-raises and I cap, with both others calling all the way. River makes a flush. MP3 and I go through the chain until it caps with both callers. MP3 rolls over KK for Kings full of Aces and I crush him with the Aces over Kings and take down a massive pot. Only took down 1 other noticable pot with pocket Qs played strong against 3 other players. Went to dinner up 20BBs.

Session 2:
After having dinner, and watching a disappointing hockey game (poor US Jr Team), I headed down with a mission to reduce my room rate. Again, 2/4 was off the board with 24 people on the list, and 3/6 had a whopping 3 people. Took the time to peep a few of the high-limit games and was seated for my 3/6 in about 5-10 minutes. Yet another live crowd with a couple of "any two" callers. Again I played tight and was up during the session about 5 BBs before ending it up 1BB due to getting some moderate hands that were preflop callers but didn't get hit on the flop. 1 hand that would have tilted me in a NL game was a score of AKs in late position. Preflop raise got me 4 callers and the flop came with a K and 2 of my suit. Checked to me for a bet and 3 callers. Turn gave me my flush but paired the board with 3s. Checked to me again for a bet and 2 callers. No C/R so I figured I was fine. River double paired the board with 7s. MP2 bets out, I call, and BB (moderate passive) raises. MP2 calls the raise and I fold. MP2 rolls a Q3 of my suit and, as expected, BB rolls an unsuited 7.
1 of the players actually gained the name of the river queen. There were no less than a dozen different instances where she hit a runner-runner, or a rivered 2 pair where she was holding an undercard.

As an aside, I did get to meet my first live 2+2er. ZacksDad (sp?) (PM me, Jay) was a friendly character with a penchant for Rolling Rock, Hot Jennifer (our waitress), and *raising my big blind*. (I still owe you one.) It was interesting seeing the differences of play between myself and someone that I knew to be a peer and had read the same books as I.

Hotel Room:
It was the first time I had actually stayed overnight and I was actually impressed at the room. I got the $100 rate, and played the requisite 8 hours. It was the nicest $40 room I've ever stayed in.

Thanks all and Happy Fishing.

Shaun
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Borgata Trip Report 1/2/05

Whats up "Roll Up"..That table was sweet,8 passive players and 1 guy who I wont mention by name (Shaun)who was obsessed with raising my blinds.
It was cool meeting my first 2+2er and someone who I could talk about the game with.Im just glad you were on my right.Ill hit you up with a PM later on in the week.AS it happens I am going to go put back a few ok..ok.. a lot of rolling rocks now.Hope there are girls as hot as Jen at this place. Let me know how you did Monday morning..

Zachs Dad
Guy in the Red Hat
Old 01-03-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am dealt AKo in the big blind and simply check it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I stopped reading right here. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 10:53 PM

I would change the [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] to a [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Please don't ever check with AK again.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:21 AM

You may have sat in the game as my friend. He was the guy wearing a Duke shirt, folding every hand, and steaming about it.

I had my 2nd weekend in a row in Atlantic City this weekend (I still haven't discussed the Christmas trip yet, which includes me winning a 33 BB pot at the loosest, craziest 3/6 game ever, and I may never get around to it). I got there around 12:30 AM on 1/2 and signed up for 1-2 NL, 6-12 HE, 5-10 stud, and 4-8 O8 (one can hope, right?).

Surprisingly, I was called to the stud game first and sat down for an orbit or so. In that time, I managed to win a $130 pot when I got queens up by 4th street. I immediately had a good feeling about this trip.

At around 1 AM, I get called to 6-12 and tell the floor to lock it up. I sat with about $510, and when I got up to see if there were any hotel rooms ready at 12:30 PM, I had something like $1320. Like all other 6-12 games I have played at the Borgata, this one had at least 4 loose-to-very-loose players in it at all times. That, and I only got sucked out on once at the very beginning of the session. It seemed every time I had AK, it hit and got paid off. I was running pretty hot.

This hand was probably my biggest of the night (it was probably something like 7 AM by this point, though). Details are a little fuzzy, as I had been downing Tanqueray and Tonic on precious little sleep.

I'm in LP with TT. Loose-aggro limper limps in EP. Guy on whom I have no read raises from MP. I cold-call here, putting the limper on any two and the raiser on AK, AQ, or a PP bigger than TT, then planning on raising most flops to find out where I'm at.

EP puts a wrench into this plan, when he says "let's make things interesting" and 3-bets it. MP quickly caps. I call again, and mentally try to will the dealer to put a ten out on the flop. EP calls.

Flop is totally sweet. T97 rainbow. EP checks. MP bets. I raise. EP 3-bets. MP caps. I call. EP calls. I'm feeling great at this point, a little worried that EP has an open-ended straight draw, and really hoping that MP doesn't have JJ or 88.

Turn is a harmless 4. EP bets. MP calls. I raise. EP 3-bets. MP calls, but doesn't seem to like it. I say something (too loudly) like "if he [EP] has jack-eight I'm going to shit my pants." But then I say "cap it." Both call. EP exclaims "don't pair the board!" Oh, damn, maybe he does have J8.

River is the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I almost get out of my chair and start dancing, but I manage to show a little restraint. EP checks. MP checks. I bet. Both call. I flip the tens full. EP mucks his cards loudly and forcefully. MP flashes two queens.

Here's another 6-12 hand I played against EP. I'm in the SB with 85 sooooooooooooooted ([img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). I complete after 3 or 4 people call and the BB checks. Flop is 6 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2. I bet my double gutshot, and EP makes some comment about my lucky 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] before calling. Turn is a lovely 7. I checkraise him. The river is a 3, and we get into a raising war. He shows down a 5. The dealer almost chops the pot until two other players and I remind her that I have the straight to the 8. Yeehaw.

I went to my room and slept until about 8 PM, and proceeded to get room service and hit the poker room at about 11 PM. I had no real concept of night or day, my clock was all [censored] up. I sit literally one hand at 5-10 stud before I am called to 1/2 NL. I hit a couple big hands and proceed to overbet them, not getting paid off enough in my opinion. I manage to get aces for the first time all weekend, and a shortstack pushes on a harmless flop; my aces hold up. It was a pretty uneventful table.

But by 3 AM, the game is getting a little too tight for my liking, so I decide to take my profit from NL (and 6-12) and take a stab at 10/20. The game was in the high-stakes room; I felt like such a baller. It was surprisingly loose, with 5 people regularly seeing a flop. I managed to drop $200 in about an hour's worth of play by enduring a suckout on the river (I'll spare you the details; nobody wants to hear my bad beat stories), playing one hand like a moron against a solid player, and not getting paid off at all when I hit a set. Oh well. I was tired, kind of drunk, and irritable; it was time for bed.

All in all, I can't complain about a hugely profitable weekend filled with booze and poker. The room at the Borgata exceeded my expectations; it was by far the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Too bad I didn't meet any 2+2ers; I was too shy to ask anyone at my table if he/she was a brown trout. Anyway, if you were at my 6-12 table in the wee hours of 1/2, I was wearing a blue Michigan t-shirt and a baseball cap that read *GF*. If you were at my tables late-night/early morning 1/2-1/3, I was wearing the same hat, but an ugly beige striped polo shirt. I'll probably wear similar gear next time I play B&M poker (at least the same hat). Feel free to tell me how much of a jackass I was at the tables.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never understand why people don't step up by a couple dollars to save a couple hours wait time. The competition is the same as the 2/4 and you get an extra $2 with each BB won.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it might have something to do with the fact that they don't win.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:49 AM

What's the "Snapped the streak at 9" reference in your location?