Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM

Default WSOP 2005 Limit & NL Shootouts

Events #15 and #16 are limit and NL shootouts, $1500 buy-in each. Can anyone give some advice on how these events compare to a normal limit or NL WSOP event? Easier or harder to make it into the money? I'm planning to play 1 or 2 WSOP events this year, and these may work out best for the travel schedule.

It would seem that the shootouts would be slightly harder, since you have to win your table to make it into the money, rather than just survive through the pack, but I have no idea.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: WSOP 2005 Limit & NL Shootouts

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 PM

Uh I always thought they were just like rebuys...my bad lol.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:12 PM

They run the same way that the Stars shootout-satellites run as far as I know.

You play one table, beat it and you get to the final table.

But I guess you knew that--as to your question, I think the ease with which you cash depends on your style....if you are a superior single-table player you will probably have some kind of edge and it might be psychologically easier to have to only conquer one table at a time.

Also, the low-ish buyin might attract some weaker competition.

Shane
Old 01-04-2005, 02:14 PM

I would suspect you could win one of these without being quite as loose and aggressive as you would have to be in a big MTT were accruing chips constantly is much more useful.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM

On the contrary, I would imagine that being loose and agressive would serve you well in a single-table environment like this. Especially if you can change gears well and can get your opponent to commit his chips out of frustration and not value. Being tight and agressive is still probably the best.

[ QUOTE ]
.... as you would have to be in a big MTT were [sic] accruing chips constantly is much more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you get this idea from, but the loose-agressive style championed by guys like Hansen and Devlifish is only their end game. I think a tight-aggr. style is going to serve you best throughout the bulk of any tournament.

Shane
Old 01-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Would you describe Raymer's game as TAG?? Im not being sarcastic at all...just curious what you think. I do think winning STT players will tend be SLIGHTLY tighter than winning MTT players on Avg.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:24 PM

The answer to your question about Raymer: I consider him a creative and agressive player. He is probably a bit on the loose side but not to a maniacal degree.

My feeling about the top players is that they employ ALL poker skills to a high and precise degree. In other words, they are capable of playing loose or tight, passive or agressive as the situation warrants. That's why I think people get totally skewed notions of the way certain players play (i.e. any succesful WPT final tablist) when what got them to the final table was a sophisticated mixture of many styles.

What do I know though?

As to whether the tight style will favor STT over MTT players, I'm not totally sure. See above I guess. Like most things, it depends.

Shane