Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Default $25-$50 Buy in Tournys (Play style question)

Where I live we usually get together a game or so a week of anyhwere from $25-$50 buy in, more towards the $25 side though. It's a low stake game, and we usually have about 8-10 people.

I'm pretty confident that of the people I am the best player there, but as I write this post I guess I have to question that because of what I am about to ask. I, unlike most people there, value my starting hands. I'm a tight, but agressive player. When I'm in the pot, the majority of the time I can just steal the blinds because of the respect the players give me.

The problem I find myself in everytime is I'll hover a little above my starting chip count, usually up 50% or so while everyone else is playing wrecklessyly and doubling each other up on garbage. So we'll be down to the final 4, top 3 pay out and I'll be the low stack of the 4 people there. I find myself in this situation far too often where people have nice chip leads over me and use them to bully me around.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do so I can possibly get the chip lead early with the way I play? It just seems that with the way I play, I dont' lose money, I just win small pots which do add up, but not enough to contend later on. Each tournament there are a differnet 3-4 people who get lucky and double and triple up quick and have dominating stacks which are hard to penetrate into, espicially when the blinds go up.

My fundamentals of poker are solid. I know when it is mathematically right to make a call and I can read bluffs and bets on draws fairly well. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to fix my game so I don't find myself in these precarious situations.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: $25-$50 Buy in Tournys (Play style question)

I guess one solution could be to just play cash games. I find this not to be a problem in cash games because staying at 50% up is a good thing then, and the longer I play, the higher it gets.

But we do play tournaments here and I was just curious what people think would be the best way to change how I play according to the situation I find myself in.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:14 PM

Sorry about posting so much, just kinda curiuos what people think about this.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:49 PM

play a little looser. When you play worse starting hands, then be careful. If they are all going to fold, then 72o is as good as AA.

SFWUSC