Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 06:47 PM

Default need help on a few hands

I find myself having trouble in the hands like the first one here. I just don't feel like I played it very well after the flop, but I'm not sure what I should have done in this situation and in similar situations. Feel free to comment on any part of the hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB doesn't show.
Outcome: SB wins 12.50 BB. </font>

Ok, on this second hand is this being too aggressive? It was fairly early so I didn't know a whole lot about my opponent. Is the 3-bet on the flop too much? Should I have done it different on the turn and river? Recommendations on this hand as well as how to handle similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Kd (one pair, twos).
BB has Kc 5d (two pair, fives and twos).
Outcome: BB wins 9 BB. </font>
Old 01-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: need help on a few hands

Bet the turn and fold if MP3 raises.

2) I dont get the flop 3bet, I call and fold the turn as I dont think people are that aggro in 3/6 full blindwar situations. Also dont think he will lay down a better hand on the turn.

The river bet is bad, its not for value and sucks as a bluff, check-calling is the way to go.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:09 PM

Reads would help.

Hand 1 - Either bet or check-fold the turn. Check-call is an awful decision unless you're committed to showing down, which you weren't (why did you check-call the turn???? Are you hoping to river a 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]??? Ugh.).

Hand 2 - I don't mind your play here so much. It's unfortunate that you didn't catch an ace or king, but BB may well be semi-bluffing the flop. Often enough, you'll get your opponent to fold to your three-bet or later in the hand by keeping the pressure up. If he 4-bets the flop or raises the turn, let it go immediately.

Again, I think calling his flop raise is weak because you're communicating explicitly that you didn't connect with the flop. Calling a turn and river bet after simply calling his flop raise would be tough to do.

Missing a flop with overcards is one of the hardest situations you'll encounter in Hold'em IMHO.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - Either bet or check-fold the turn. Check-call is an awful decision unless you're committed to showing down, which you weren't (why did you check-call the turn???? Are you hoping to river a 9??? Ugh.).

[/ QUOTE ]
What was I thinking? I have no idea. I felt terrible about how I played the hand after the flop. My problem is that after I show so much aggression on a given hand, I find it hard to give it up when I know I should. I guess at the time I just feel weak doing that, but when you look at it, it's pretty damn weak to check call the turn.

Let's say I bet the turn. If he just calls, and the queen comes on the river, what is my action then?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say I bet the turn. If he just calls, and the queen comes on the river, what is my action then?

[/ QUOTE ]

With two overs on the board, it's tough to continue betting - you may just be spewing chips. This is where reads really help. With SB waking up on the river, I think this is a safe fold.