Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Sensing weakness....

Background: Villian is VPIP of 30, PFR 6. So pretty standard numbers. Haven't seen him do anything stupid yet.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $5 BB (7 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($787.50)
CO ($108.75)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($496.25)</font>
<font color="#C00000">SB ($559.00)</font>
BB ($499.25)
UTG ($676.75)
MP1 ($1050.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.50.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $5, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $30</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $58</font>, SB calls $28.

I did this obviously to set up a big bluff on the turn. I wanted it to look like I had a set.

Turn: ($131) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

What do you put the sb on at this point, and do you fire another barrel?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Sensing weakness....

err dont even limp

theres no weakness shown here.. this guy check raised you
Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 PM

I had been betting most flops that were checked to me in the short time I was at the table. I thought he may be trying to make a play back at me. I figured the strongest he had at this point was a pair, and I could push him off on the turn.

On the turn I bet 110 (obviously to try and push him out). Good bet, or shut it down on the flop?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:57 PM

this looks like chip spewing madness to me... i could be wrong though, hope it worked out.

peace - jeff
Old 01-02-2005, 11:32 PM

i agree that this is a chip spew. however, if youre going to reraise the flop you certainly have to follow through on the turn. checking this down now would be pathetic.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:11 AM

Now, after I bet 110 on the turn, this is where it gets interesting.

He leads $55 on the river when an offsuit blank hits. I put him on top pair, and push, to about 320 straight (all-in). I know this was definately LAGGY, and would not be my standard play. Had he checked the river, I would have definately checked behind and given up. It looked like a blocking bet to me, and I thought I could push him off a pair.

He called.....with KT.

He is either great or really stupid, I'm not sure which. Would anynoe here call (in his position) that down on the river given the action? It seemed to me that I was representing 22 or 44 the whole hand.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:31 AM

you are a maniac sir. I hope you slowed it down and only bet very strong hands thereafter so the expensive advetising could pay off.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:37 AM

lol, I was definately a maniac that hand.

Would anyone here call in his position?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 AM

what a nice bet on the river by the villain. dont worry, sometimes i have problems not coming over the top of weak leads, but you gotta discipline yourself and just fold. he obviously outplayed you this time.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:31 AM

Hi,

Why no preflop raise? Would you limp here with a wide range of hands, including middling or big pairs?

The flop bet looks standard when checked to but I would give it up after the check raise. The villain has semi-defined his hand (not guaranteed if he knows you would bet at any flop). Your re-raise seems too aggressive. Looks like a re-steal as opposed to a set. A call with a set seems better. If villain was just playing back at you, you can make a large raise on the turn and put him to the test there. If he was stealing or has tpgk, he will be more inclined to fold for an all-in on the turn.

The river bet looks like/is a blocking bet but with the intention of calling an all-in. It's a bet for value if you hold top pair worse kicker, a possible scenario. He will make more money more often than checking it down. If you re-raise all-in it is either a pure bluff or a set or big pair depending on the read on the flop.