Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Limit Holdem Book, i\'m getting killed here.... ONLINE

i play a lot of live limit and not limit holdem... 6/12, 10/20 mostly.... and am up for '04, but every time i play online, i get slaughtered... i'm obviously doing something wrong... is there a book that i should read to help with my online play??

thanks

btw... i already have and read: SS, Hellmuths, theory of poker, holdem for advanced, and caro's poker tells...
Old 01-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Limit Holdem Book, i\'m getting killed here.... ONLINE

Read Miller's Small Stakes Hold 'Em. Read posts here (dig through the archives for all the posts by Clarkmeister and Dynasty). If you still can't win after that, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play a lot of live limit and not limit holdem... 6/12, 10/20 mostly.... and am up for '04, but every time i play online, i get slaughtered... i'm obviously doing something wrong... is there a book that i should read to help with my online play??

thanks

btw... i already have and read: SS, Hellmuths, theory of poker, holdem for advanced, and caro's poker tells...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play the same limits online and live? Online play is significantly better than live when you compare the same limits. So it's very likely you're good enough to beat bad players, but not good enough to beat average or decent ones.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 PM

Try to disregard anything you learned from Hellmuth's book. Its quite terrible and is probably why your struggling. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Hellmuth as far as I'm concerned is strictly a NL player who has no business teaching limit anything. One read of his book and it should be obvious to most he dosent have the mechanical skills for limit that a lot of the top players do.

Mike Emery
Old 01-01-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play a lot of live limit and not limit holdem... 6/12, 10/20 mostly.... and am up for '04

[/ QUOTE ]

Define a lot? Depending on your sample size of live play over just one year its possible that you aren't really a winning player. Don't take this wrong, please, just something that you might want to consider. If you have been playing online, especially if you have been multi-tabling, it is possible that in a very short period of time you have seen far more hands and have developed a reasonable sample.

It is also possible that you are a winning player against he people you play against live, but are simple having a hard time adapting to the more aggressive style of online players. Just some food for thought..

lf
Old 01-01-2005, 11:28 PM

i just keep getting run over by morons playing some rediculous garbage... about 1 minute ago, i was in a hand where i flopped a set and this moron stayed in with it capped on the flop and turn to hit a gutshot str8... every time i get up a few $$ i get in some rediculous hand like this... how do you ever get ahead????
Old 01-01-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just keep getting run over by morons playing some rediculous garbage... about 1 minute ago, i was in a hand where i flopped a set and this moron stayed in with it capped on the flop and turn to hit a gutshot str8... every time i get up a few $$ i get in some rediculous hand like this... how do you ever get ahead????

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not serious.

You've been registered here for a month. By now you should have seen this statement many many times - These are the exact people who you make your money from

If it wasn't for them, you'd never win. <font color="white"> Please don't post any follow-up statements like: "There are too many of them, you can't beat them all" or "they hit more often than they should" because it's just ridiculous </font>
Old 01-01-2005, 11:59 PM

i'm just finding this hard to believe that this keeps happening. i don't have these problems in live games.. not to say that it doesnt happen, it just doesn't happen this often or at such devastating blows... maybe i'm just catching bad luck that will end, but it just keeps happening...
Old 01-02-2005, 12:11 AM

When I first started online about two years ago I also had a hard time adjusting. The hits felt like they'd never happen in a live game as you described. But then if you justt keep playing and playing tight tight tight at low limits but value bet everything and you just consider the loss a downswing at the beginning of a huge upswing you'll do fine. . . perhaps the longest sentence of my life.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Try switching to a site that isn't owned by the same company. I played a lot on a big site that it seems everyone but me crushed. All I did was stay in a range, a constant see-saw. I was always either red hot or ice cold, never able to grind it out and slowly build a big cushion like I've been able to do live.

The biggest culprit was my big hands, the 75-80% favorites. They never held up as much as they should have and two things stood out. I won few big pots with them, but lost many big ones. It basically came down to this - I played tight and if I didn't steal as many small pots as I did just from being aggressive, I would have been a big loser.

I switched to another popular site that isn't as big and I've had the same results that I've had for a long time playing live, which is pretty good.