Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Small Blind Hand on the Bubble

Here's a hand from the Pstars 10+1 rebuy. I'm in 54th out of 66 remaining with the top 63 making the money. I don't mind bubbling out of the money to increase my chance of making the final table as long as it's a reasonable risk.

Blinds are 2000/4000 with a 200 ante. It's folded to me in the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have 24,000 left after posting the blind. The big blind has 114,000, so I'm not able to put a serious dent in his stack which is 2nd on the table and about 10th in the tourny.

I decided to move all in since A9 was extremely likely to be the best hand, but I've been second guessing it since. If I wind up getting called, I'm in big trouble - probably in no better shape than if I had gotten caught stealing with garbage.

Since I decided that I didn't want to steal wiith garbage in this spot, I probably shouldn't steal with A9 either. It's just that folding A9 seems awfully tight in that spot. Is stealing 7,800 worth of blinds and antes worth it?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Small Blind Hand on the Bubble

If you're honest about not caring about finishing off the bubble, then I'd say it was a good move.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:26 PM

Easy push. I think you'll get called by the big stack by a lot of hands that you can beat. BB probably thinks this is an any 2 play. You increase your stack by a third if not called and you're ahead more than you're not when called. I really don't see folding as an option, I don't see any other play.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:47 AM

Easy push. And it's a lot better than stealing with garbage as it's possible you get called w/Ax smaller kicker.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:04 AM

Even my weak tight butt thinks this a good move...especially since you steal 32% of your stack if he folds..Id say its 45-55 if you get called. Push and hope he gets creative with KQ or something.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:57 PM

i almost always push in situations like this, sometimes to my chagrin. but this is a strong hand heads up and more times than not you will steal the blinds. the problem here is the big stack, who may call loosely but that shouldnt deter you too much. even if you are called you are getting 4-3 odds and you may be a favorite to some of the hands he may have and you may even dominate a few.

Pat