Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Queens in the small blind

You are in the small blind and have everyone covered with 350 or so. The game is tight, 1-2 blind no limit. MP (120) raises to 5. Do you re-raise here?

Next: assume you just call. Then, the big blind, whom you haven't seen play too many hands, (150) makes it 20, and the original raiser folds. Call? fold? raise?

Finally, assume you just called again, the flop comes T, 8, 2 rainbow. Raiser bets the pot. Call? Fold? Raise?

Now, assume you had KK instead. How does your play change?
Old 01-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Queens in the small blind

just vs. a tiny raise I generally do reraise. You most likely have the best hand, and can easily get away when the overs hit. You can flat call once in a while to mix it up, but I usually prefer to raise.

If you just flat call, getting repopped by the BB is a tougher situation. Depends a bit on the read. Since you and the original raiser didnt show very much strength, its not always AA or KK.
One possible line is to call the reraise, lead the flop if its undercards, but fold if you get raised on the flop.
I don't think there is a 100% right answer with QQ in the SB facing a reraise like that. Though if you reraise in the SB, and then the BB still repops you, your hand is much more clearly defined. In any case, this seems like a poker decision based on the read of the player. There are some players against which a reraise like that is going to be only aces or kings, and I'll fold without thinking. Others it means any hand AJ+ or 99+, and might even be less.

If I have KK I'm reraising, period. Both after the MP raise and if I get reraised. I need to be damn sure its aces before I lay down kings, and at 1/2, there are enough bad players that I'm never *that* sure.