Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 04:07 AM

Default overcards to your big pocket pair

I've read SSH a few times and a few other things. It seems like they're always yelling "Raise to protect your marignal hand!"

How much does this really apply in micros with several opponents? I can understand perfectly well how to play if you actually have hope of isolating someone, but what about Party 0.5/1?

For example, I have KK in late position. I raise pre-flop and 5-6 people see the flop. The flop comes with an A, and someone is betting into me. I can hear everybody telling me to raise, but honestly, how can I not assume I'm up against a pair of aces? And what if nobody does bet into me? These people absolutely love to call it down whether they're holding the nuts or a back-door straight, and I'll guarantee that 50% of the table is playing any A.

Seriously, is it incorrect to think that I'm up against an A if I have more than 2-3 opponents?

I really just don't know how to play KK, QQ, JJ when an overcard falls. If I've only got 1 or 2 opponents, I'll push until someone shows some aggression back at me, but it seems like with several opponents I'm always far behind, and it's obviously a mistake to be chasing a set.

If I have QQ and a K falls, I'm more comfortable pushing it, but these people play any ace. Shouldn't I just check/fold when an A falls?

I'd love to be able to play these situations more aggressively, but I need some explanation here.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:35 AM

Default Re: overcards to your big pocket pair

Raising to protect your hand is usually when you still have a live card to spike two pair or maybe hit a set, so straights and flushes have to draw incorrectly. holding KK in a raised pot when an A flops and you are seeing action is a little different. At this point it's usually safe to assume you are drawing to 2 outs.