Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Favourite Online SnGs

I play 2/4 ring games at a wide variety of sites however have limited my SnGs to Pacific Poker. The site is terrible for rings but their 10+1 NL SnGs have been very profitable for me - very poor players for the most part.

For a number of days now, most of their NL tourneys have been down - (technical glitch?). I moved over to Party but was shocked by how quickly the blinds increased. It was only one game but it freaked me out to the point where I won't (can't) play there.

Long query short...

With Pacific being down, I'm looking for an alternative site to play SnGs. Weak competition/Blinds increase at a reasonable rate.

My style of play is derived from AleoMagus' "Beating Party Poker's 10+1" posting. I took this info, with a few modifications as my experience/confidence increased, and used it profitably at Pacific.

Thanks in advance,

Wyers
Old 12-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Favourite Online SnGs

I really like the structure of PokerStar's SNGs. T1500 to start, 9 handed, 10/20 blinds. These blinds allow you to make some moves and the blinds go up every 10 minutes(5 for a turbo). I think it is much better than party's structure, the blinds go up to fast for my liking over there.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:08 PM

What about the quality of play at PokerStars (10+1)? From what I understand, their players tend to be a little more seasoned than those of most sites. I enjoy Pacific because I know I'm better than most of the players at my table - I'm not so sure that would be the case at PokerStars (well... not yet [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 PM

I thought Party's SNGs raised the levels every 10 hands?

That's not a bad pace, I just don't like the starting stack of 800 or 1000.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:20 PM

When Pacific's NL Tourney's went down, I attempted to play over at Party. I found the rate at which their blinds increased (every 10 hands) to be very quick. Pacific was every 15 which I find to be a little more reasonable.

Yeah. I'm not crazy about the T800 stacks either but I find quick blinds more unsettling than the stack size.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:25 PM

I used to play Pacific, but much prefer Stars. You get a much deeper stack (T1500) and the blinds are similar to Pacific.

At the low limits, the competition is generally not that bad.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:35 PM

I've played at Stars and Party a lot. Party has worse competition, but Stars is still really bad, and the fact that they are slightly better is almost good because you can steal pots and such.

On Party it's difficult for me to win the tournaments. You have to be accummilating chips quickly and most the players are LAG, which means you need the best hand to win. That just doesn't happen a lot of the time and it's really tough to make people lay down their hand when they are beating you I guess.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:06 PM

pokerroom.com would probably work for you. the competition is pretty weak and you start out with T1500.

i think that you might be doing yourself a disservice though by avoiding the Party SNGs.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:17 PM

people complain about the lack of chips and the escalating blinds at party. i actually prefer this. it allows me to play many more sngs per hour, while still maintaining quite an edge on the competition. people play like absolute idiots even in the 50s and 100s. you can play 4 sngs every 45 minutes or so on average, and if your roi is only 10% on the 55s, you can still make a good 25-30 bucks an hour. thats being only a marginal winner. the reason the better players prefer this setup is because they can get so many more games in, even though the stats may not be AS good.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:27 PM

What is the opinion of people here of Paradise? That's where I've been playing, and I feel I've been learning a lot and improving from it. The biggest problem I can see is that you can't multitable (if someone knows otherwise, please let me know!). That, in addition to a slow game (T$1000 to start with, and 5/10 blinds for Level 1), might drop people's opinion of it a notch.

Do people here find it not fishy enough? Just curious.