Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 02:36 AM

Default OT: DVD rant

Why the f**k do DVD's have to come shrinkwrapped then taped shut on three sides, and have a security chip embedded inside the darn case? It's a freakin $15.99 (retail) piece of plastic, you would think WMD could be made from the contents of a DVD case considering the effort they put into security. Meanwhile, you can walk around Best Buy and there are racks of USB thumb drives, MP3 players etc that are small and easy to pocket yet dont have 1/10th the loss prevention effort. But God help us if someone pilfers a DVD.

Im just saying, the effort it takes me to open the flipping DVD I just purchased seems like a lot more then it would take me to just download the thing from usenet.

thanks for listening.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 AM

Default Re: OT: DVD rant

just a thought, but I think it might be so people just cant slip em out and steal em, like one of my friends was doing with gamecube games for a while
Old 12-30-2004, 04:00 AM

It has nothing to do with loss prevention. It has to do with tracking your whereabouts with the RF ID.

Seriously dude WTH are you doing PURSHASING a DVD...

Either Kazaa it, or get a NetFlix subscription and rip 10-15/month like everyone else.

Geesh.

J/K of course. Stealing is a sin. God must make DVD's hard to open for a reason....
Old 12-30-2004, 02:28 PM

It's the distribution companies that wrap DVDs like they are solid gold, not Best Buy. I believe it's an industry standard for packaging that was agreed upon by distributors that are MPAA members. (Independent releases are never packaged that way). Regardless of who released it, the packaging is the same with the same wording on the stickers. (The only difference is that some companies like Disney choose to emboss their logo onto the shrink wrap to make bootleg copies more obvious).

Once you get a system going, you can strip one down in about 15 seconds. (I have a huge DVD collection, so I typically have a good-sized stack to go through after a trip to Best Buy or Borders).
Old 12-30-2004, 02:51 PM

HERE HERE! I ruined the packaging of my favorite DVD just opening the packaging. Took the protective hard plastic right off.