Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 11:49 PM

Default 88 in the BB

Preflop raiser has slightly LAGish stats. The other two (MP and SB) are donkarrific with very loose, not overly aggressive stats. CO is unremarkable.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>...

What's my line?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:59 PM

Default Re: 88 in the BB

Raise and hope for a free card. Fold to a reraise.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:19 AM

Why would he want a free card?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise and hope for a free card. Fold to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. Free card?

Raise because you've likely got the best hand and it'd be nice to take this one down now, or as quickly as possible.

Rob
Old 12-30-2004, 02:26 PM

a free card out of position? what kind of free card you looking for? u think SB got 88 beat? you got another flak from other posters, but I absolutely HAD to comment on your silly suggestion.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:09 AM

because the sb called your call was correct, you were getting the correct odds, if sb fold you are getting the incorrect odds.

now it is tough, 32 possible AK and AQ combos, 30 AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT. almost even money that your best, but there are cards to come. i would lead out vs most players. if he is the type of player who would raise with AK or AQ (overcards plus a gut shot), or a big pair you will have no idea where you are. even if he calls your postflop bet, he could have a big pair and pop you on the turn. i still bet it out, then trust your knowledge of the player and your read. it is a tough one with no overcards on the board.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because the sb called your call was correct, you were getting the correct odds, if sb fold you are getting the incorrect odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling a single preflop raise even if it's folded to me.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:08 PM

i think i need to extrapolate.

because the sb called your call was correct, you were getting the correct odds, if sb fold you are getting the incorrect odds with any small or mid pair. your goal is to flop a set. calling vs one player has a neg ev and costs you $ over time.

this flop makes is tough. and early raiser, 32 possible AK and AQ combos, 30 AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT. if he had a big pair he is now about a 90% to 91% fav if you both go to the river, if he had AK, or AQ then you are now about a 62% to 63% fav if you both go to the river (and i took the SB out of this computation - you are an even bigger dog with a 3ed player in). therefore, if at best, about 1/2 the time you are a huge dog, the others times an ok favorite, you will loose money over time if you continue with the hand. and there are cards to come that are more likely to help him then you. despite that, and probably incorrectly, i would lead out vs most players. if he is the type of player who would now raise with AK or AQ (overcards plus a gut shot), and with a big pair you will have no idea where you are. even if he calls your postflop bet, he could have a big pair and pop you on the turn. i still bet it out, then trust your knowledge of the player and your read. it is a tough one with no overcards on the board. but again as you can see, if you do not flop your set, it has a negative expectation.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because the sb called your call was correct, you were getting the correct odds, if sb fold you are getting the incorrect odds with any small or mid pair. your goal is to flop a set. calling vs one player has a neg ev and costs you $ over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong in the multiway scenario because of implied odds. You're wrong when it's HU because I might have the best hand + implied odds.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amulet.. I'm sorry. You are seriously wrong here.

The term "implied odds" is what you are missing here.