Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 07:57 PM

Default $20/40 stud hand

This is from a $20/40 stud game at Foxwoods yesterday. The game is very good, fairly loose, not terribly aggressive, with one board-certified monkey, (BCM) absolutely killing the game. To give you an idea of how this guy is playing, I cite the hand below.

<font color="red">WARNING: BAD BEAT CONTENT </font>

&lt;!--begin bad beat--&gt;

I raise several limpers with (<font color="red">K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font>) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I think a Queen was out, but I can't help myself sometimes. Kings and diamonds were both live. I get three or four callers. Bring-in pairs his Deuce and checks. It is checked to me. I have caught the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and bet $40. The bring-in folds somewhat reluctantly (pairs are hard to come by, y'know). BCM raises to $80 with 73o, clearing everyone else out. I make it $120, and he calls. He says, "no more clubs." I catch the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and he catches something or other. I bet and he calls. On sixth, I pair my Ace and bet. He pairs his Trey, not his door card, and raises. I pay off his trip Treys. He had called a full bet with, as near as I can figure, (K3)7, and had check-raised when he made a pair of Treys.

&lt;!--end bad beat--&gt;

There were a lot of hands like that. Anyway, ante is $3 in this game. I think we were seven-handed for this hand. Either that, or I've forgotten one of the folded cards from third street. Anyway, low card is on my right, a 3 or a 4, and brings it in for $5. I'm next with (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) <font color="red">8</font>[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and call. Half-decent player (HDP) calls with the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the door. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] both fold. BCM calls with the <font color="red">9</font>[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the door. The next guy, who is new to the table, unknown to me (UK), and appears to be weak and loose, completes to $20. I consider folding but don't, and the other two guys call as well. On fourth street, I catch the <font color="red">A</font>[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. HDP catches the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BCM catches the <font color="red">8</font>[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and UK catches the <font color="red">A</font>[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I have Aces-up, but three of my four full house cards are gone. No one in the history of mankind has ever raised third street and then failed to bet fourth when he caught a suited Ace, so I figure this is as good a time as any to go for a check-raise. The check-raise attempt is successful, but no one folds. I strongly suspect that HDP has a set, but he's getting relatively close to all-in, so even if he has it, I can maybe win a side pot.

I think my fifth-street card was a Five. HDP caught something random, BCM caught a Jack, and UK paired his Five. The boards are something like this:

Andy B: (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) <font color="red">8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A</font>[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
HPD: (xxx xxx) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="red">Q</font>[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BCM: (xxx xxx) <font color="red">9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UK: (xxx xxx) <font color="red">5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font>

UK bets his open Fives. I raise to $80. HDP raises all-in to $115. I'm now reasonably convinced that he has a set, but I figure I'm still good for the side pot. BCM and UK call, I cap, and they both call.

On sixth, I catch a Queen, HDP catches something or other, BCM pairs his Eight, and UK catches something or other. BCM is high and bets, UK calls, and I raise. BCM calls, and UK now folds. I have finally convinced someone that I have Aces-up.

On the river, I catch another Queen, improving my hand in case someone else has Aces-up....BCM bets out, and I call.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: $20/40 stud hand

Im wondering why you didnt open raise (complete) with the split 8's best kicker and force the field to call the full bet to see fourth. I see this as an almost madatory standard to play . I see that there sre two solid oc's behind ( the T is out of position with the A and J behind) but flat calling here doesnt seem like an optimum play from my seat.

there must be some rational to your limping twice here.

it is a 29/40 structure so raise and take it isnt going to be a huge prabability on my list but playing this hand heads up or three ways would be.

did this make a difference in your mind ?

who was the 4th street bettor ? did the limpers call two cold?

Let me get this straight, you limped twice and then check raised on an dead Ace and no one folded?

When is the next flight to Conn? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

timmer
Old 12-29-2004, 09:18 PM

A couple of different times, I said, "you guys play here every day?" One guy thought it was funny, and one lady was really offended.

There were several over-cards behind me, and one of my Aces was out, so I took the limp-and-see-what-happens approach. The raise came from an unexpected spot, and I wasn't sure what my best course of action was. If Aces were totally live, I probably would have re-popped it (or raised coming in), but with one out, I wasn't looking to play a big pot. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Yeah, sorry this wasn't 100% clear: <font color="red">5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> bet fourth street, I raised, and the other two guys called two bets cold.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of different times, I said, "you guys play here every day?" One guy thought it was funny, and one lady was really offended.

There were several over-cards behind me, and one of my Aces was out, so I took the limp-and-see-what-happens approach. The raise came from an unexpected spot, and I wasn't sure what my best course of action was. If Aces were totally live, I probably would have re-popped it (or raised coming in), but with one out, I wasn't looking to play a big pot. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I kinda sorta thought this may be your rational. Im thinking this is sort of a raise or fold spot . but against these types of players a limp and see could be in order. But if I (and I am speaking of myself here) though it would be completed any way . I would rather be reraised and call if I though that would get it heads up ....YADA-X3

I bet you had a wonderful trip

timmer </font>

Yeah, sorry this wasn't 100% clear: <font color="red">5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> bet fourth street, I raised, and the other two guys called two bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-29-2004, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">I bet you had a wonderful trip</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My streak is intact: I lost about $100 in AC, and I lost about $300 in this game.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My streak is intact: I lost about $100 in AC, and I lost about $300 in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't mention you met the legendary BeerMoney.

Sorry you lost money in that game. It looked a little juicy. You must have caught cold cards.

PS. Dude, you need to change your Avatar. My wife said that. That's all I will say.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:32 AM

I had a few tough hands where I built nice pots for other people, and I had a few moments where I played bad. I could make a decent living in that game, but that would involve living in Connecticut. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yes, BeerMoney was the one 2+2er who introduced himself to me during my tour of four card rooms in two states. He even bought me a beer. Thanks again! Apparently, you're not allowed to have bottles in the poker room. This was only mentioned a couple of hours after I had finished. I guess they don't want people beating the dealers with them. Which leads me to something I just didn't understand--they have these waitresses, but they can only bring you a few kinds of beer, none of which I consider drinkable. There is a bar very close by which has Guinness and Bass among others on tap, but that's off-limits for the waitresses. I don't mind getting my own beer, especially with such a short trip, but why do you have waitresses then?

Which leads me to the Taj. After the $15/30/45 stud/8 game at the Trop got short-handed and tight, I left to see what the action was like at the Taj. I got in a $10/20 stud game where they were using creased paper cards. They brought in a set-up, and the new deck was even worse. I can't believe that people will sit in games where non-trivial sums are being risked and play with marked cards. The other thing was that I was very hungry, and apparently, waitresses can't take food orders. You have to go to a phone, call someone, and someone will bring it to you. Again, what the hell are waitresses for? Anyway, I got pissed off and left, and in the process of figuring out what the hell I did with my car, stumbled upon a street vendor who had these hot sausages that really hit the spot. Only $3.75 each! I don't know how he stays in business.

Anyway, nice meeting you and Mrs. BeerMoney.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:04 AM

Andy, you're focusing all of your energy in the wrong area. Think about the waitresses at the Borgata.

(And, the juicy 20/40 Foxwoods table.)
Old 12-30-2004, 02:28 AM

If you are looking for food in the Taj in AC. I must recommend the hot dogs that are sold when you go up the escalators and then follow the signs to the parking garage.

Nothing beats 3 hotdogs when its 3 am and you haven't eaten all day, you are dead tired...and you plan on playing some more.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:30 AM

Unless you are refering to the waitresses in the low cut corrset type things that push up their "goods", I dont know what you mean.

Too bad it take forever to get a seat at the tables in the Borgata