Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Would This Be Smart?

I have 1k for the up coming baseball betting season. Would it be smart and money wise correct to bet agaisnt the red sox every game. If its a smart play what would be the right amount for each bet. How much do u think u could profit from this? Plz respond
Old 12-28-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Would This Be Smart?

Yes, absolutely. What you should do is bet all $1K against the Red Sox on opening day, and keep parlaying it through the end of the season. When they go 0-162, you'll be loaded.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:22 PM

It's way too early to know this, although it might be a sound hypothesis. Backing road dogs and fading the Yankees with above market numbers has been profitable for a while, so if you do some line shopping you can probably do it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:48 PM

I would think there is SOME validity to this.
The line should be more favorable for the BoSox opposition just on their popularity.

However, I would hesitate to blindly bet against them vs. the Yanks since the line for these games should be approximately correct (there are enough rabid NYY betting fans out there to counter-balance the Bosox fans).

Also, if Boston gets off to a 10-15 start or something then I think there may be more and more jumping off the band-wagon thus you will no longer be getting the best of odds.

You would also want to be sure to line-shop and would probably do best to wait until the hour window before game-time much of the time to maximize EV on something like this.

As for the amount...I'm not really sure.
I might suggest ALWAYS betting 3% of your roll.
you would start with a $30 bet...and then would bet $31.24 the next day or $29.56 or something for the 2nd game.
By the end of the season you would hope to be betting $60/gm if things go really well.

As for how much you could profit from this. Who knows??
Boston might win 115 games this year for all we know in which case it might not work out too well for you.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think there is SOME validity to this.
The line should be more favorable for the BoSox opposition just on their popularity.

However, I would hesitate to blindly bet against them vs. the Yanks since the line for these games should be approximately correct (there are enough rabid NYY betting fans out there to counter-balance the Bosox fans).

Also, if Boston gets off to a 10-15 start or something then I think there may be more and more jumping off the band-wagon thus you will no longer be getting the best of odds.

You would also want to be sure to line-shop and would probably do best to wait until the hour window before game-time much of the time to maximize EV on something like this.

As for the amount...I'm not really sure.
I might suggest ALWAYS betting 3% of your roll.
you would start with a $30 bet...and then would bet $31.24 the next day or $29.56 or something for the 2nd game.
By the end of the season you would hope to be betting $60/gm if things go really well.

As for how much you could profit from this. Who knows??
Boston might win 115 games this year for all we know in which case it might not work out too well for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he bets the Boston opp to cover he may be in better shape
Old 12-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Are you in New England? I'm sure this idea could work much better there where all the crazy fans will bet the Sox regardless of the game. If so, I would play with a local or two.

Aside from that, I think it's a terrible idea, but interesting...

Just my opinion. Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM

Yes...that's a good point.
If you're in NE and can get a bookie who would give you reasonable odds then you could be in good shape.

Heck, you could just try to set up bets with people around the office and possibly do okay with some really advantageous odds.