Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 03:48 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 12-28-2004, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Will there ever come a time when poker won\'t make me nervous?

hopefully before that, there will come a time when you don't crosspost like this.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 12-28-2004, 10:04 AM

The quality of the forum depends upon posting in the proper area. If everyone just posts anything anywhere, then others will stop reading and replying, then the forum will suck.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM

Inanswer to your question, I don't think you should really be getting uncomfortably nervous at all - perhaps a little bit of butterflies at the idea of the competition and not knowing how it's going to go, but the minute you start playing, it should essentially be enjoyable, in my opinion. Enjoyable, exciting, fun - is how I would describe how I feel when I'm playing poker. You even said you don't play as much as you could, or should, which sounds even more like you don't really like it. Perhaps you should try to figure out what about it makes you nervous, and then decide if you even want to really keep playing...?

Regards,
Bodie
Old 12-28-2004, 04:32 PM

If you find that you are walking away from a table that is very beatable because you fear a downswing, you are giving up too much expected value.

A trick to rectify your nervousness is to simply decide that you have to play x number of hands during the course of your session before you are allowed to quit. Then rigidly force yourself to meet that goal with the understanding that you can stop play as soon as you meet it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:38 PM

You probably should ask yourself why you play poker, and if you find it enjoyable or not.

You say you're not worried about the losing streaks since you have a BR to sustain them, but perhaps you're still not comfortable with the idea of losing money.

Perhaps you might want to play a lower limit where you're more comfortable and can focus on the game instead of not losing money, or perhaps poker may not be for you.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:03 PM

Do you have an aversion to conflict? This sounds a lot like what some people experience when it's time to fire someone, yell at someone, stand up for themselves in a physical confrontation, etc. I have no such compunction but I see it in others. I look forward to conflict and it's what makes poker the great game that it is.

The only time I've ever been nervous over poker was the first time I played in a cardroom. I wasn't worried about my skill or strategy, I was worried that I wouldn't know the lingo or that I would handle the equipment clumsily. Once I sat down and saw that I could cut chips as well as the other players that disappeared immediately.

If it is indeed conflict that you have a problem with, I'm sure a psychologist could help you work that out and then you'll enjoy the game that you seem to like to play even more.

Just so this post doesn't come across as "I'm better than YOU!!!", it's a funny thing that although I enjoy personal conflict if you put me on a stage solo with a lot of people watching me I feel like I'm going to barf. Heh, personalities are funny things.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 PM

In reading your post, I realized that I share some of your feelings. I too have amassed a decent bankroll in only a couple of months of playing, have read all the books, feel confident of what I am doing while playing, discuss poker all the time with a mentor/friend of mine, and have even won 2 or the 4 live tournaments I've played in. I know this is not a true measure of success, but let's just say I'm certainly moving in the right direction.

But the initial apprehension is always there before I begin playing. I too hate losing (and have had a couple of nightmare downswings), but I think it is more than just fear of that. It is more about somehow personally attaching yourself to that losing situation and how bad it makes you feel. To a small degree, it's as if you have a losing session, you feel like a "loser" - not just in poker, but in life. It's a feeling to first recognize for what it is and then dismiss it. Fear of failure should not be ignored, but it should never be in the forefront of your mind going into any competitive situation.

I play in a basketball league and before games I always find myself nervous. Even though I've been playing for years, it still happens before each game. I think it's because the feeling of letting your team down (letting yourself down) is a much greater low than the elation of winning. I think the same can be said about poker - since we "expect" to win.

I just finished a book that has put a lot of what goes on in the poker mind in perspective. It was a great read and I definitely recommend it if you haven't read it.

Zen and the Art of Poker: Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game
by Larry Phillips
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0452281261

It really helps you focus on detaching your self and thus your emotions from the game.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:24 PM

Sophia,

I highly recommend reading "Zen and the art of poker" by Larry Phillips. Sounds like you are in need of some relaxation techniques and the ability to detatch yourself from your results. Hope it helps!