Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Datamining and Point of Diminishing Returns?

Hello, my hard drive crashed recently and being an idiot I didnt have a backup of my pokertracker database. So to get back in the swing of things I have been datamining, having 8 tables of 3/6 open 24/7. I now have about 40,000 hands in my database. I am wondering, is it beneficial to keep the datamining up or have I gathered enough information to the point where it does not benefit me nearly as much as the first 40k hands or so? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Datamining and Point of Diminishing Returns?

With the limit on PT db size, the reduced computer performence of large db's, and the loss of data on regular players when starting a new db, managing DM is a problem without a clear answer for me.

While trying to get 100-200 hands on any new player that you might play with in the future, you try to avoid getting more HH's on players that you already have 1000's of hands on. Not an easy trick when both types of players are at the same table, because the second type is trying to play with the first type. Also, the easiest time to DM is while sleeping making changing tables difficult.

I cut down on DM mon-thurs overnight. I'm willing to listen to any suggestions that help in this area.

MS Sunshine
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM

I was actually unaware there was a max size of a database in pokertracker. How many hands is the maximum? What options does one have when that maximum is reached?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:51 PM

2GB is the limit for the pokertracker database. Pat is working on a new version using MySQL which will not have this limit. However, I find that after about 1GB, performance suffers. Therefore I try to keep it around 500MB. For DM purposes I keep all the hand history files and rebuild the database every other week using the last week or so worth of files.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Just out of curiosity, about how amny hands will equal 50mb? Or is there any easy way to fisgure out the size of my database. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2GB is the limit for the pokertracker database. Pat is working on a new version using MySQL which will not have this limit. However, I find that after about 1GB, performance suffers. Therefore I try to keep it around 500MB. For DM purposes I keep all the hand history files and rebuild the database every other week using the last week or so worth of files.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do this? >>You keep all the observed HHs? Doesn't this take up an obscene amount of space on your hard drive? I checked the bos in mine to not save the obs HHs
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM

Do most of you use completely separate databases for your DM efforts?

Freakin
Old 12-27-2004, 09:30 PM

I "only" have a a couple of hundred thousand hand database (split in 2 files) so far, so it is not a huge problem for me yet. I use playerview, which can use info from both databases at once.

But I'm planning on having about 5 2GB databases and removing the oldest one every time I fill up a new one.

that way I keep the infobase fresh.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:34 PM

I do
Old 12-27-2004, 09:39 PM

Can you explain what the benefit of "splitting" them into 2 files is, and how you accomplish this?