Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 05:14 PM

Default TT preflop

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (8 handed) converter

BB (t30127)
UTG (t19120)
UTG+1 (t55733)
PGUK (t40856)
MP2 (t28917)
CO (t158125)
Button (t49667)
SB (t102911)

Preflop: PGUK is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t6000</font>, PGUK?

$5 + rebuys on Stars. You have a slightly above average stack. 75 left, 54 pay.

This is your 9th hand at the table. Villain has folded 8 of them. He raised UTG the other, and all folded.

I think all three actions have merit.

All comments appreciated.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: TT preflop

Villian looks to be playing ABC poker right now which puts him qq-aa, ak. The fact that this is his second straight hand raising leads me to believe he's strong. Fear not, you can call here IMO. Flop a set and bust his premium hand and if he checks a flop to you i'd probably throw out a decent bet there.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:07 PM

I would call and try to see a flop. You'll have to proceed carefully if the flop is only 9 high or lower, as he could easily have a higher pocket pair than you.

I don't like a re-raise at all here without a read, and even then I don't like it. There are 4 more opponents to act behind you, and 3 of them have you covered. Besides, a re-raise here should be a push. It doesn't sound like you have enough information on UTG+1 to come over the top of him/her with TT yet.

Still, TT is a strong hand. I would try to take a flop and go from there. If you read him as being very strong, then muck it.

J.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:25 PM

This hand feels like trouble waiting to happen . I wish I knew what your chip position was relative to the rest of the field. I'd guess from your (chip) position at this table that you may not be too worried about making the payouts so I might be inclined to wait for an even better opportunity.

If I were going to play I'd probably also limp in but I don't believe in limping with pairs TT or greater from MP or LP so already I feel I'm on a 'fishing trip'by calling here. I'm worried about other callers (do I really want to let the small blind in cheaply if he feels like gambling for example?) and not being heads up with the villain. Do I really want to play this hand against a flop of AKT even if it is a rainbow? How hard will it be to drop that set? What if your TT is the best hand pre-flop? Without a raise against someone determined to steal how far will you push it against someone who represented AK-Big pair from the start?

I could justify playing TT here; even re-raising the villain but I think with the potential of being sandwiched or repeatedly bluffed by a maniac I'm just giving away chips. Am I willing to call a re-raise from someone behind me?

Most of the hands I'm ahead against (other than pure bluffs with garbage or 22-99)are races. Is it worth all of my chips for a coin-flip? There will probably be better spots for me to gamble down the road so personally, I'd fold this. TT is like AQs here. Too good to play without raising and not good enough to call a raise in a NLHE tournament from an early position raiser without more info.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:50 PM

I don't think you should start worrying about set over set just yet.... Call. Then flop a set and you've got a very good chance of doubling up; undercards or Q/J and you take a stab at the pot; any A/K and you're in check/fold mode. I'd say AK is very likely here, even an ABC player will want to slow play AA/KK to a certain extent.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:55 AM

Default RESULTS

I called. Flop was J8x, I think rainbow, but possibly two tone.

He checked, I bet about 10K, he C/R 18K or so more, I thought for some time and folded. He showed 88. The Jack on the flop probably saved me, if it was a low card, I was in a much more tricky situation.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Seems like an easy Fold with 5 players yet to act behind because if someone re-raises, a Call has essentially discarded 15% of your stack. The table apparently respects UTG+1 and your hand+position is too weak to re-raise.
Not a tough pass PF, really...