Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 06:15 AM

Default ok, so ppl apparently wanted this to be it\'s own thread... 22 on turn

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t2320)
SB (t2695)
BB (t1805)
UTG (t5245)
UTG+1 (t1960)
MP1 (t4465)
MP2 (t4030)
MP3 (t2030)
CO (t2330)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2, 2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO raises to t200, Hero calls t200, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t475) K, 7, 3 (2 players)
CO bets t350, Hero calls t350.

Turn: (t1175) 7 (2 players)
CO bets t1780 (All-In), Hero calls t1770 (All-In).

River: (t4725) Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: t4725
Old 12-27-2004, 06:16 AM

Default Re: ok, so ppl apparently wanted this to be it\'s own thread... 22 on turn

I'll post my thoughts after some discussion

GG
Old 12-27-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Re: ok, so ppl apparently wanted this to be it\'s own thread... 22 on turn

converter screwup kinda means we need more info

must have had an interesting read
Old 12-27-2004, 08:18 AM

Pure Moneymaker.....
I had this call done on me with AK when the flop came queen hi...vilain had 22...unreal.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: ok, so ppl apparently wanted this to be it\'s own thread... 22 on t

I'll bite with a quick reply.

I did not read all of the other discussion regarding this hand, and do not know the results.

This is such a read dependant play its hard to even discuss here. But it basically boils down to an internet read. That person's betting patterns, and play style. Do they push their big hands, or try to slow play them? Was it an automatic jam allin on the turn 1 second after the card hit, as in please Gavin think this is a power hand?

I'm much more likely to dial someone up with this kind of move if its limit. But if I have a good read on someones betting patterns, bluffing etc, this is a very viable play.

I can only assume you had that rock solid of a read on someone (And for the naysayers, that IS possible on the internet).

Nick
Old 12-27-2004, 10:28 AM

Very good post Chief, and great call Gavin.

I asked you to post, this because I watched the entire hand, and when the cards were exposed on the turn, I knew that I could never make that call.
If I wanted to continue with the hand I would push the flop, where there is some fold equity to go with it.

Just my thoughts.
PGA71
Old 12-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Zaxx,

Because this is a play you are incapable or unwilling to make (Assuming this because of your comments) does not make it a poor play.

If you are happy hitting final tables in your $3 UB tournaments occasionally, and do not want your skill to progress, go ahead and continue thinking in your egocentric world. When you are ready to play in a $530 entry tournament, and move beyond level 1 thinking, start truly asking yourself why/how someone could make this call. Sorry if this is rude or what not, but your comment regarding the play and then related experience (Gasp, someone called you when you had a Q high flop and caught you with your pants down?) show your lack of understanding.

To say this is a common play is wrong. Probably 95% of the time in a hand like this, its a fold. But with a good read, its a call that has to be made sometimes.

Nick
Old 12-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Nick, both your posts in this topic are fantastic.

Dean
Old 12-27-2004, 12:31 PM

I am either too good to make this play, or net yet good enough.

Seems like you would need a pretty solid read to make this call. I am surprised that you thought you had such a strong read by Level 3 of the tourney. Had you played with this guy before?

Even if you had seen him bet when he missed a few times (and he would have to have been caught for you to be certain of this), and C/R strong hands, it is some read to believe that he would not bet out a King here. AFter raising preflop, most people will bet out on pretty much every flop regardless, especially if a King comes. I think Nick makes a very valid point. Did your opponent insta-push on the turn, and did you take this as a tell?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:04 PM

I&amp;#8217;ve seen Gavin make some very aggressive plays on Stars before. This is the exact opposite of the spectrum. At first glance, it seems like a really passive play. I like to make a definitive decision on the flop with my small pairs and live with it. Push or fold. Maybe a pot sized bet if I think I'm best. Sometimes, you hope for a cheap ride to showdown if your opponent isn&amp;#8217;t very aggressive. I guess the push smelled fishy and he called. What did he have? A/J?

In a cash game recently, my first hand, I pick up A/K and play it aggressively from early pos. One caller. Rag flop. I bet aggressively. Rag turn. I keep firing. Fire river too. Guy calls me down with deuces. I was pissed. I still haven&amp;#8217;t figured out his logic. I guess he read me for A/K. He won a nice pot.

In a pot limit tournament recently, also first hand, I pick up Aces. Decide not to get cute early on and bet pot. One caller. 9 hi flop. I bet pot. Get called. Push the turn. Guy calls and turns up 10s. I guess he put me on A/K too. He caught a 10 on the river and I was really pissed. But obviously, this guy made the wrong read.

Moral of the story? Two different hands. Same play, similar situations. Which guy was the genius?

Also, the "pure Moneymaker." Is this meant as an insult? Because Moneymaker made a clutch call on Dutch Boyd with a little pair.