Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 09:50 PM

Default CPU recommendations, please

I need to upgrade my CPU. I'm embarrassed to say how slow my current processor is. So what I want to know is what's the minimum I should get? Consider multitabling + IE + winamp + wmp + outlook + PT etc etc.
Is a 2.4 P4 800mhz bus enough? Should I be considering Athalon? (I'm fairly computer savvy but I don't know the dif between pentium and athalon, performance-wise.)

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: CPU recommendations, please

P4 2.4 is enough, consider spending just a little more for the 2.8c, then you get hyperthreading.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider multitabling + IE + winamp + wmp + outlook + PT etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2 Ghz chip will be able to do all of that in it's sleep. If you want the best performance/dollar the AMD Sempron 2500+ (equal to a Pentium 2.5 Ghz) is $69 at www.newegg.com. If you want extreme performance for gaming, AMD athlon 64 will smoke the Pentium 4.

You say you're computer savy. Do you know how to build a computer?
Old 12-26-2004, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P4 2.4 is enough, consider spending just a little more for the 2.8c, then you get hyperthreading.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is clutch. definitely spend the $$ to get hyperthreading...very good for extreme multitasking
Old 12-27-2004, 12:09 AM

You can't just upgrade a CPU unless your motherboard is compatible with the new CPU. Since you said your current setup is really slow, it's doubtful you'll be able to upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the motherboard. New motherboards run DDR memory that will mean you're old memory probably won't work with it. All this is said with my assumption you're running something fairly old with PC100 type memory. Personaly, I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ ($85) on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard ($50) with a stick a couple sticks of 512 PC3200 memory ($75 each). I bought all the stuff from newegg.com. In fact, I ordered a stick of memory from then on 12/22 and received it on 12/24. I read that people are pushing the AMD mobile chips for desktop use too.

If you tell me (us) your current setup and budget, I (we) might be able to come up with a good upgrade plan for you.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 AM

I think I'll get myself one of those El Cheapo Sempron systems. Probably good enough for me.

I want to multitask the following:

4+ tables + MSN Messenger + ICQ + Winamp + Pokertracker

And in the future, perhaps multimonitoring.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You say you're computer savy. Do you know how to build a computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm savvier than the average idiot in the cubicle across from me at work. I can't build one from scratch, but I've added drives/RAM myself.

I know I need a new board. I'm getting a hand-me-down from my brother. That Sempron might be the way to go. 2.4 P4's are like $130 on pricewatch. But I assume a board is either/or (correct?), and the free one I'd be getting is pentium. Hmmm...
Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't just upgrade a CPU unless your motherboard is compatible with the new CPU. Since you said your current setup is really slow, it's doubtful you'll be able to upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the motherboard. New motherboards run DDR memory that will mean you're old memory probably won't work with it. All this is said with my assumption you're running something fairly old with PC100 type memory. Personaly, I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ ($85) on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard ($50) with a stick a couple sticks of 512 PC3200 memory ($75 each). I bought all the stuff from newegg.com. In fact, I ordered a stick of memory from then on 12/22 and received it on 12/24. I read that people are pushing the AMD mobile chips for desktop use too.

If you tell me (us) your current setup and budget, I (we) might be able to come up with a good upgrade plan for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I just realized my RAM may not be compatable.
I've got an 868mhz P3, 896MB of PC133. I'm not sure yet the model of motherboard I am supposed to be getting as a donation from my brother...
I was hoping to spend no more than $175, but that was before I realized my RAM may be no good. So I'm rethinking now.

Thanks to all for the info.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:19 AM

Newegg is the best for shopping.

Do you use you computer to listen to music? If so check out this motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...478&depa=1

It has a very good onboard soundcard. I know because I have 3 of those motherboards. Digital coaxial out is very nice if you are using a hi-fi sound system. All of the built in features in that motherboard will save you tons of $$$.

The sempron is more than enough power for what you are doing.

512 MB DDR ram should be good enough. You can always use task manager to see if you are running low. Goto www.slickdeals.net, techbargains, and dealslist.com and keep an eye on rebates for really cheap ram. Kingston, Micron, and Crucial are all good brand names. I have had horrible luck with PNY and their customer service sucks (try and find an e-mail address on their website), but some people like them.

Building a computer is easy. Once you know what to buy, the hardest part in clipping in heatsink ontop of the CPU. Just make sure you have the power off when swapping stuff in and out. And be carefull of static electricity as those circuits can be delicate.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:11 AM

yea you need new everything at that point. I can build one from scratch btw [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]