Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2004, 08:59 AM

Default The Ten Smartest Poker Players

Thought I'd be a little bit naughty this Christmas morning and list who I consider the ten smartest among regular poker players. I'm doing this off the top of my head so it is very possible I have inadvertantly forgotten someone. I have recused myself and Mason.

This list is rating "ability to think", not mathematical ability. But the correlation between the two is high. I base the ratings on my knowledge of the player's education, the stuff that they have written, and personal conversations. I will give no reasons and will not defend my choices. In fact I will say nothing further except to possibly say "I forgot about him" or "I don't know her".

I'm doing this mainly for fun but also to let newbies know who the smartest players are. That doesn't always mean the best players, but again there is a correlation. No one on this list would have trouble making a pretty good living at poker if they had to.

Meanwhile in spite of my lack of diligence and in some cases, spotty data, you can be sure that the list below is awfully close to the real truth.

Ten Smartest Poker Players:

1. William Chen

2. Mark Weitzman

3. Howard Lederer

4. Jim Geary

5. Chris Ferguson

6. Ed Miller

7. Tom Weideman

8. Jimmy Warren

9. Barry Greenstein

10. Paul Phillips