Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 07:34 PM

Default 22 in 2-5 PokerRoom game...

Good game with a couple people who have no clue. Two of them are in this hand. I had exactly 500 when the hand started. They all had me covered.

I limp UTG+1 with black ducks. MP waahoo raises to 10. One caller in late position as well as the SB and I call also. There are four to the flop.
23J rainbow. Hello there.
SB checks. I check. waahoo bets 10. LP guy calls. SB check raises to 80. I re-checkraise to 150. waahoo calls. SB folds.
Turn Q
I bet 150, waahoo calls.
River 3
I go all in for 190, waahoo calls and shows me KK.

I know I got all the money in and won a very nice pot but it was only because I was in the pot with a waahoo. I do not like the way I played the hand from the flop on. What would you have done???
Old 12-24-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Re: 22 in 2-5 PokerRoom game...

Wow - Could this hand have worked out any better for you? SB's checkraise then fold was great...

Lead the flop. Everything else then changes.

But maybe it goes like this - You bet pot, KK raises, SB folds(?). You call.

Check to him on the turn, he bets, you call. You lead out on the river?

I guess the point is, if you can put him on an overpair (and you know he's bad), and you can represent something like AJ, then you let him stay in the lead as long as possible.

I love checkraising the river if I have a good read that KK will keep firing, but that's your call.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:37 PM

I think that you probably should have smooth called the $80 raise from LP. Either your way ahead and have nothing to worry about or someone has a bigger set and you might save some $
Old 12-24-2004, 09:53 PM

you need a significantly more money to be worried about an averset here.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:26 PM

"you need a significantly more money to be worried about an averset here. "

He's wondering how to play the hand optimally against tough players. Who's to say that $500 isn't a significant amount to him? Learn the right play now so when he's playing at a higher limit he'll know what to do.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:30 PM

Yeah...basically I had no idea what either of the two waahoos had and was very suprised when the SB folded. If I knew the waahoo who opened the pot had a over pair I would definitly had played this hand different, but when you open a pot for 10 dollars in a 2-5 game wtf does that mean? I think if I was playing against better opponents they probably both would have folded on the flop. If you think waahoo who opened the pot has a overpair does anyone check-call the flop and check raise the turn and then lead on the river??? Or is that way too obvouis. In my opinion the most obvouis set line is when you raise someone on the flop and then they lead on the turn. I have basically no clue though.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:32 PM

BTW, call me a fish or something but if I lose my 500$ in this game from a set over set it doesnt bother me at all! It has only happened twice and both times it was with 444s...I dont play 44s anymore...lol
Old 12-24-2004, 11:35 PM

A wahoo on an overpair and you flop a set those are the hands you dream of. I think the best play is to lead with it and he'll put you on AJ and raise. You can either get it all in on the flop by re-raising because he wont think you would lead with a set or you can smooth call his raise after you have led and check raise him on the turn, which I feel is the best play.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:37 PM

It's not about the money it's about the best way to play the hand. It's about how would you play this hand if you had 5,10,20 thousand dollars in front of you.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:32 AM

Hey bmando,
I am a fan of the lead the flop, flat call the flop raise, checkraise the turn and stick the rest of it in there on the river line. Since you're biggest worry here is he raised with a crappy hand and flopped nothing against a real maniac I would probably lead half the pot on the flop, even if he has nothing he will probably either raise because he thinks you are weak or just call and see what you do next, then when you check the turn he will try and take the pot from you. If you somehow knew he had a big pair, you would just bet out and keep raising him since there is no way he folds kings here.

By the way, which player was it? There's not as many fish at that game as there used to be and I like to keep track of them.