Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Tips for spotting cheaters.

I was playing a home game, and midway through my friend, the host pulled me to the side and told me to watch two of the kids at my table. He said a few people noticed some suspicious things they were doing. IU went back over and studied them pretty hard. I didnt notice anything really obvious. The one thing I saw was an attempt at chip-dumping which was broken up by another player in the hand.

Has anyone had this problem, or this worry? If so, how do you really catch the players? We didnt want to flat out accuse them if we couldnt prove anything.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Tips for spotting cheaters.

Ive actually gotten into a fight when a cheater was spotted at our home game...bad part was that he was one of our friends from high school, but the thing you need to watch is for bottom dealing and chip dumping. Dumping is easier to spot but always watch whos dealing even if its your wife brother or best friend cause too many people are tempted by easy money
Old 12-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Tips for spotting cheaters.

Depends on what the're doing. If the're signalling to each other through chip placement or card placement and the're not too good at it it'll be obvious. If the're building runts and bottom dealing the best way to catch them is the sound... it makes a "click" when you bottom or second deal. If the're just chip dumping or softplaying then you've already caught them.

Hell, they just don't play anymore if it's my game unless the're both horrible players and horrible cheats (as a lot are), then the're welcome every time! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2004, 01:13 AM

Default The best defence

Learn how to cheat properly and you'll know exactly how to spot it.

In trying to learn how to cheat, I've self-taught all the major sleight-of-hand moves with a deck of cards and accidently picked up an interest in magic.

I've never cheated in my life at poker.

EDIT: I've softplayed friends in a cash game, never in a tournament.

Is that cheating?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: The best defence

At my home games i usually just play with friends so there is not really much concern for cheating. I guess i would say set up a procedure for how each hand is delt includeing shuffleing and cutting procedures.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:50 PM

When I was a kid at camp, I used to play head-to-head for fun with a guy. I don't even remember how to do some of the stuff I did when I was 10, but I do know that we left a cap pistol on the table. If you blew it, there was a scramble for the gun (fired up in the air - surprised no one lost an eye). Underscored that there might consequences to such antics when not playing with friends.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:46 AM

What exactly is chip dumping, and softplaying?
Old 12-25-2004, 04:49 AM

chip dumping is giving betting into a pot or raising a pot when your friend has a better hand that way pot odds may be correct. Softplaying is not betting where you normally bet against a friend.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:35 AM

In order to second- or bottom-deal, the dealer must first put the cards where he wants them, and then keep them there while he shuffles and deals. There are a few easy ways to make this hard to do:

1 - Require that the muck be washed into the stub (mix the cards that were played with the undealt cards) before the dealer starts shuffling.

2 - Have someone other than the dealer shuffle the cards.

3 - Square the cards after the cut, so the dealer can't uncut them. Also, cut down into more than two piles.

Any other suggestions out there?

Besides looking for the "international signs" does anyone have suggestions for picking up on signals? Chip dumping might be a symptom of signals, or it could just be aggresive (or stupid) betting.

BTW - I don't call slowplaying cheating, I call it poker.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:20 AM

slowplaying isn't softplaying. softplaying is intentionally being nice to your friends.