Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Flopped a freaking monster..not sure i like how i played it

First, it was just a $.25/.50 NL homegame, but me and the main other player both had at least $100 on the table and I know nobody in the small stakes forum. We are 5 handed.
We started with $30, so had both built it up.

I am far and away the best player at the table, the other player with money is pretty good..good for a home game, but hasn't played big games.

I Limp UTG with QTd due to how deep the money is, button (the other big stack) makes it $2.50, SB calls (he isn't very good), i call saying no way I'm folding for 2% of my stack.

Flop comes AdKxJd, so I flopped the nut straight and the 2nd nut diamond draw, including the royal..wow.

SB checks, I check, Button bets $4, SB calls, I flatcall.

Diamond hits (not what i want)..we check around.

Small card on the river, check to me, I bet $10, button eventually calls, i show saying the diamond saved you a lot of money..he claims he has A9, i believe him.

Like dislike?

I'll post my thoughts in a reply.

Thanks

SD
Old 12-23-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Flopped a freaking monster..not sure i like how i played it

Right now, i don't like how i played it. I played it to win an ok size pot. If I am calling it should be to win a huge pot off him..my play didn't allow it to really buil.d

So, I think I should have bet out on the flop. He is likely to raise me thinking if I did have a monster, I would have checked it, and this allows a big pot to be built, which was the entire point.

After I check, a raise is not in order though..i can represent solely a flush draw, but then have to keep slowplaying it. Well, the flush card came..i think then it was a no brainer to slowplay.

He will raise with a lot, so was not really worried about AK.

But i think a bet then flat call of a raise would have been better, as the pot would then be pretty big in size and a checkraise on the turn could break him.

So the question is to bet out or not to? I always do on flopped sets with deep stacks..only thing I think should be slowplayed is a flopped boat, as that cripples the deck.
This hand did not cripple the deck, which is very important.

Thanks

SD
Old 12-23-2004, 04:26 PM

these stakes are too small for this forum. this should be in the ssNLH forums.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:37 PM

i explained my reason..and stated it from the getgo.
sorry for wasting your time.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:45 PM

valuable first post by you this month.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:12 PM

It's hard to get much value from a hand like this out of position, and you're bound to get much less action if the flush card comes (as you see). I'd probably lead out and hope to get raised by a two-pair/set hand.

And yeah, unless your stacks are like 2,000BB deep I wouldn't imagine it should be posted here, and it doesn't really matter if you don't know anyone in the SS forum. I'm sure many people post here as well that you don't personally know. Just evaluate each response individually.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:51 AM

The play is to lead out on the flop. You are certain to be against a hand with three broadways, and as you said, there are some cards on the turn that will hurt your action.

Any other broadway bringing 4 to a straight, the flush card, or even board pairing will slow you down, and with deep stacks, (200+) if you bet the flop and are raised, you can stop and go on a turn, or C/R, depending on the card.

Ideally you stop and go, he calls with like top two, and you make a value bet on the river.

When the third card hits the turn, and you check-called the flop, I favor leading out here. It's very possible he's live to you, (4 outs or 10) and you're losing value against these hands because they may check the turn.

By going check flop check turn you really set yourself up to win a small pot...
Old 12-24-2004, 04:54 AM

thanks. i agree on everything, and just wanted to confirm with somebody that is how i should play with it.
we don't usually have two of us with 200+bb..i had the right mindset preflop, but had messed up my mindset for postflop. especially against a decent player the play was to bet.
so thanks

had it been checked around on the flop, i definitely would have bet out on the flush.
i knew he hadn't flopped two pair or better (i have a good read on him), so i wasn't afraid of the free card on the river..too much. i could tell his $4 bet was a bit of a scared bet (i was right, he had A9). Had i read him for strength, i definitely would not have slowplayed the turn.

Thanks again

SD