Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Pocket 10s

2/4 NL online ($400 max), I have $535.50, villain has $917.50. Villain is a "tricky" type player. I don't consider him to be really good, but I don't consider him to be bad. I am viewed as tight, maybe weak tight.

I'm dealt Ts Th and am sitting UTG+1. UTG folds, I call. UTG +2 folds, UTG+3 calls. UTG +4 pops to 14. UTG+5, SB and I are the only callers.

I saw him make this same smallish raise with 3s 5s earlier after a few limpers (he flopped a flush and stacked off a player who had flopped a set). I'm not neccessarilly putting him on a premium hand. I think his most likely hand is a small to mid-pair and this is a "pot building" raise.

Flop ($64 in pot):
8h 3d 8s

SB checks. I check. Preflop raiser bets $28. Folded to me and I call. My plan is to lead out on the turn here. I think there is a good chance I am ahead.

Turn 8c (pot = $120):
For some reason seeing the 3rd 8 changed my mind. I assumed he did not have quads, and I didn't want to bet out because he would then be pretty sure I did not have it. This new line could conceiveably be quads, so I thought maybe he folds something like JJ when I bet the river (and he may not raise with KK or QQ). Not that he could put me on quads, but just so he would have that seed of doubt. Anyway, I was certainly thinking that I was probably ahead. My plan was now to check call and lead the river. I check, he bets $46 (an underbet of the pot again), I call.

River 3h (pot = $212)

I lead for $100. I will fold if he raises big.

Thoughts on this line? Was it stupid to be check calling when he kept under betting the pot? Should I have led out for more? Should I have checked the river instead? I'd be interested in seeing other's thoughts on this line. It was kind of one of those feeling out hands where I was going with my read, but certainly did not want to play a big pot.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Pocket 10s

I like it. If you're read is correct that he would raise more with AA KK QQ JJ, which is what you implied, then you are almost certainly ahead. He will probably call this with 55 66, etc.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Pocket 10s

<<<<I like it. If you're read is correct that he would raise more with AA KK QQ JJ, which is what you implied, then you are almost certainly ahead. He will probably call this with 55 66, etc.>>>>

Thanks for the input. He did indeed call and lose with 77.

I was just wondering if I should have blown him off the hand earlier or if taking this non-traditional line (check calling smallish bets, leading for 1/2 pot on river) was OK. Seeing as you looked at it the same way I did, I guess it's just a situation where it is OK to play a strange line against a strange opponent with a strange board.