Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 09:36 PM

Default So many things wrong with this hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 is 22% VP$IP, 5% PFR, 1.96 AF.
MP3 44%, 4%, 1.38, WSD 82%, W$SD 33%.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Most likely dubious call UTG+1 at the standard tight 1/2 table.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

UTG probably didnt hit the flop with the check, but MP3 probably has something. Bad call in desperation for backdoor flush or hoping King out is not dominated.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Hit the King on the turn. Bet out? C/R? Afraid UTG+2 was C/R with AK, or MP3 had KQ.

River: (8.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks.

Missed a value bet.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 12-23-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: So many things wrong with this hand.

I would muck this preflop in EP. I would play KTs from late position in an unraised pot and raise it preflop.

Flop, lead out one betting and make note of who raises you.

Turn bet. If unimproved at this point you probably just want to muck (check/fold). Given what you had done up to the turn (passive) a checkraise would have probably won the hand for you right there and would have been a better play. If he 3 bets you, you might be facing AK KK AA KQ or QQ and would be wise to muck.

River bet. But based on what you had done up to the river you had no real read on the true strength of the opponent's hand and you were out of position to take advantage of his weakness, so very hard to make an informed decision.

When you are just calling raises it is hard to get a feel for how strong your opponent's hand actually is. He may just have been playing overcards that missed (or a flush draw), or a mid pair like 99, TT, JJ and you didn't give him the chance to lay down on the turn. Or he may have had a real hand, but by the time he checks the river it is too late to do anything about it. Anyway I'm new here so take my response with a grain of salt.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:04 PM

Preflop call depends on how loose and/or passive the table is. I'd probably limp it.

Flop: Fold. You have nothing..you're not getting proper odds to chase the backdoor flush, and you can't be sure your K outs are any good.
Turn: Do you see why you should have folded the flop? You stated one of your reasons for calling the flop as the hope that your K out is clean, and yet when you hit it on the turn, you don't know what to do. If you think it's good you should bet it. Then again, you shouldn't still be in the hand anyway.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:08 PM

Very interesting hand, with what look to me like close decisions.

Preflop, I like it.

This is what I am most unsure about: I think a case can be made for betting out the flop, but I probably just check and call one bet like you did.

I think you should come out betting the turn, and if you are not raised, value bet the river.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Fold. You have nothing..you're not getting proper odds to chase the backdoor flush, and you can't be sure your K outs are any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but isn't the pot too big? K outs might not be good, but they might. Does 2 outs seems fair? Plus a total of 2 outs for the two BD draws. Probably 4 outs is fair. (Disagree?) You need about 10:1 (immediate odds) to call, and are getting 9.5:1, but taking into consideration implied odds... like I said, I think this is close. I like a check call for one bet here.

Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:19 PM

Well with immediate odds and 47 unseen cards, even assuming 4 outs, you need 11.75:1 rather than the 10:1 figure you gave. Also, your backdoor straight outs are no good unless you spike specifically a J on the turn, because if you catch an A or a 9, you are not getting proper odds on the turn to call with just a gutshot.

EDIT: Your implied odds are also pretty bad considering it's only 3 people to the flop.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:26 PM

i raise this if my table is loose. either check raise or bet the turn, check calling doesn't do much. bet the river if they just call you on the turn.

words you used to describe your hand: "desperation", "hoping", "afraid".

makes me think you play too weak. what are you doing calling that flop hoping to spike your hand if you play weak when you hit your cards? be strong my man!