Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Someone Jumped the All-in before I could!! What to do?

Hey Guys,

Been a while since my last post.

Playing $20 NLHE stars tourney. 550 starters about 190 left. I am about 120, with about 3.5k. Blinds are 100/200.

On the button and get 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Chip leader (5k) min raises from UTG and there are 2 other callers before me and I call for value, as does SB and BB completes.

Flop

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB, BB check, UTG leads for 1k.

At this point I am going all in for my gutshot straight flush draw etc.

That is until the player to my right, decides to go all in (just has me covered). I think for ages, and I decide I am drawing dead to the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and fold.

Does anyone else fold here?

Will post the results later.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Someone Jumped the All-in before I could!! What to do?

Fold.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:20 PM

You have a flush draw along with a str8 draw for 13 possible outs with 2 cards to come giving you a 50% chance of winning a huge pot. You are getting about 2:1 pot odds. So if your flush outs are good then it would be correct to call here. Why did you assume your flush outs werent good? The PF raiser bet out on the flop as they usually do indicating a big PP or big A. The all in raiser looks like he is trying to protect his hand against a flush draw. If he had a flush draw, wouldn't he have called trying to lure others into the pot? I would say your outs are good.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:32 PM

You're getting over 2 to 1 odds to call here. The player before you made about a pot-size bet by going all-in. Could be flush draw. Could be protecting his hand. If I was getting even odds I'd probably fold but getting 2 to 1 and a chance to get back into a comfortable chip position, I think I'll take my shot and call. If he has an Ace and isn't on a bigger draw you're only a slight dog.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:38 PM

I agree. The person that went all in probably hit a set and is tryin to rid the flush draws with so many people in the hand. 2 more cards to come, I think a call is probably the right play.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:42 PM

I'm not so sure about calling for almost half your stack here (in terms of the allin bettor). He is probably trying to get odds of getting paid out if the flush hits and going home if it doesn't. Also by raising all in, he could get the big stack to fold - the classic case of winning the hand two different ways.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think your thinking might be wrong here.

Not sure myself

Jon
Old 12-22-2004, 08:01 PM

Then why post the hand for review? Obviously some people will say fold, others will say call. I think folding is weak. You might think calling is crazy. But I definitely don't think the all-in bet means flush. It could. But I would put him on enough other hands that I'm certainly better than a 2 to 1 dog and therefore have the odds to call.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:30 PM

It is now "weak-tight" NOT too call off you money with a 5 hi flush draw....oh and a gut shot straight draw both of which may or may not be fully live. Wow I think it is a hard muck to make and I might take a shot here bc the odds but how in the hell is this a weak tight muck, especially when there is a good shot your flush draw is worthless...or if the guy has a set he has a decently strong redraw against the flush. NO WAY that is weak tight.

On the other hand this is about the best flop you could of hoped for with this hand....so I can understand the frustration.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:45 PM

I think this is a pretty standard play for someone holding a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. With around 3k left you still have time to wait for a better spot. Even with 2:1 on your money, it's hard to say whether or not your outs are any good.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:03 PM

This is why I fold preflop and save myself the trouble.