Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 01:06 PM

Default TT on the button situation I seem to be in a good deal.

I'm out in LA for the winter, and have been playing at Commerce a good deal. Through some statistical fluke I found myself in a simmilar situation four times in the course of a couple of days.

I'm dealt TT on the button, 3 or 4 people limp, someone raises and the player to my right threebets. I tend to cap this, but I'm curious as to what oher people's play would be. Miller seems to advocate cold calling the 3 here, but it just feels wrong to me.

Who cold calls, folds or caps here assuming no reads?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: TT on the button situation I seem to be in a good deal.

This probably isn't the right place for this post. It's a live game, so it can't be micro-limit. But who cares?

You do have reads, don't you? Isn't everyone at the Commerce supposed to be a LAG?

Regardless, if you are going to get 6 players in for 3 or 4 each, I'd say you definitely want to play just to try to hit your set. Don't take the lead, tho. You don't want everyone checking to you on the flop if you hit the case T. Instead, you want and EP player betting so you can trap the whole field with a flop raise and drag a monster pot.

I say call.

What's you flop plan if you whiff the case and a straight?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:26 PM

This probably isn't the right place for this post. It's a live game, so it can't be micro-limit. But who cares?

Well, they actually spread $1/$2 (which if you're drunk is a great way to spend $60 playing like a maniac torturing the other players) Holdem at Commerce, but no, I don't play at microlimits. The games, however are so close to identical to microlimit games online that it seemed more appropriate to post it here.

I think I cap it because even at Commerce SOME of the limpers will fold to three cold, and the overlay is huge if I can get in against AK/AQ. Calling three cold seems to get me into a situation where I'm playing mainly for set value and while the implied odds are pretty good with everyone tied to the pot it allways feels sort of uneasy to me.

As a pointless aside, I hit two sets that held up calling a single flop bet with odds to call and once flopped quads. It's quite possible that those exceptional results are influencing my gut feeling about capping with it here.

Would you cap with JJ?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:43 PM

Would you cap with JJ?

Against 6 opponents, still no. Chances are still too high that J will not be TP, and with this many opponents and this big of a pot, this hand is going to a showdown. In fact, I don't even cap QQ. AA or KK I cap, becasue they could be made hands. QQ or lower is a drawing hand in this spot. But this is heavily dependant on the fact that there are 6 players for 3 or 4 each.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Calling three cold seems to get me into a situation where I'm playing mainly for set value

That's exactly right. TP might drag this pot, but TT isn't usually going to be TP. In this case, TT is a drawing hand.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:53 PM

I havent read all the posts in this thread so forgive me if this has been gone over before.

[ QUOTE ]
Against 6 opponents, still no. Chances are still too high that J will not be TP,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have SSH read hand quiz 4 for preflop play. JJ will flop at least an overpair 1/3 of the time and a set 12% more. This gives you a massive egde agaisnt this many players. True your in trouble vs a higher pair, but the amount of callers in the hand make up for those times.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:51 PM

depending on the players to my right, I might coldcall, or I might fold. I have a pretty good relative position to protect my hand if I flop an overpair, but pretty crappy position to collect a lot of bets if I flop a set.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:59 PM

Don't even see how folding could be an option here. If you at least call, you could hit your set or end up with top pair anyway. It's worth seeing the flop.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:12 PM

there are some live players whose three bet means QQ-AA 100% of the time, although they are very rare.

EDIT: folding probably isnt an option at low limit with no reads.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:26 PM

With 1010 or 99 with no reads 4 limpers, I cold call. (This one of the only situations in which I can justify a pf CC BTW I cap JJ and fold 88) The reason is that I want all the limpers to see the flop and there's a reasonable chance the original raiser will cap it after they've called the two bets. You really need to hit a set on the flop against two pf raisers and the bigger the overlay the better.

If there are four limpers and your cap makes two of them fold (assuming they would have called the two bets) you're getting dead money but reducing your immediate pot odds.