Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Hand advice from small tourney

Home tourney, about 40 players $100 buy in, $100 in chips to start, we are in the second level, blinds are .50/1.00

Hero in the BB with about $100, SB about $140, Button around $100

I know the Button to be a solid player, the SB is new to me, but he has shown no ability to lay down a hand for any amount and has been up and down quite a bit already.

I am dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to button, he raises to $5, SB calls, I flat call.

The button could be on anyting in my mind, as could the SB.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets out $10. Normally, against almost any player I would raise here, but I call because I doubt I could get this guy to lay anything down and would rather push when I can see morew card, plus there is at least a chance he has flopped a straight.

Button raises to $25, SB calls quickly, I call

Turn is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets $10, I call, Button calls(?)

river is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], SB bets $20, I fold, Button raises, SB calls.

SB shows K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Button has K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Now, my thoiught is that I could never have gotten the small blind to lay down top pair with the straight flush draw, I would obviously have gotten my money in if the board paired, but I think I played this ok, especially early in the tourney.

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Hand advice from small tourney

It looks like you were playing this hand just looking for a reason to get away from it. Very weak imo.

"I call because I doubt I could get this guy to lay anything down and would rather push when I can see more card,"

I don't like this thinking at all, you've got a set and you should think in your mind whether or not you have the best hand. I think in this situation i'd assume i do. There has been a bet and a raise, the board has a lot of draws, I push here and i want to get called. If you don't get called, so what, you improved your stack by 50%. Push flop, Push turn.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like you were playing this hand just looking for a reason to get away from it. Very weak imo.

"I call because I doubt I could get this guy to lay anything down and would rather push when I can see more card,"

I don't like this thinking at all, you've got a set and you should think in your mind whether or not you have the best hand. I think in this situation i'd assume i do. There has been a bet and a raise, the board has a lot of draws, I push here and i want to get called. If you don't get called, so what, you improved your stack by 50%. Push flop, Push turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
Old 12-23-2004, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I should say that I have raised here against any other player I have ever played against, this guy, however, had every seen every hand he had played to the river, and I would definetly have pushed more without the scary draws out there, my thinking was that this early in the tournament I could hold off and push on the turn or river when I had more info, I think the major flaw may have been trying to play the hand against the SB and not taking into account the variable of the third player.