Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 01:07 AM

Default AJ - Worth it?

AJ is such a hard hand to play, the only board you can really play it well with is J rags, I am interested in what peoples PT stats say about this hand, is it profitable? Is it best to just fold this hand from early position?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Re: AJ - Worth it?

[ QUOTE ]
AJ is such a hard hand to play, the only board you can really play it well with is J rags,

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your situation, than you gotta work on your postflop skills. Alot. AJ is most definetely a profitable hand.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:13 AM

I personally dont play it in early position, but from where I do play it the last 50 times I've gotten it I have won 40% of the time. A profitable hand for me, but as I said, I don't play it from early position myself. I know a ton of people do though and maybe they will have better numbers for you.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AJ is such a hard hand to play, the only board you can really play it well with is J rags,

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your situation, than you gotta work on your postflop skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that why I am here? But my main question was if I should play it from early position or not
Old 12-22-2004, 02:05 AM

AJo is my biggest loser. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Its a skill hand. I don't have it. Yet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 02:14 AM

Play it from EP if your raise can knock out many players limit the field. It makes great top pair hands. These do well shorthanded. If 6+ are seeing the flop no matter if you raise or not muck it UTG & UTG+1 if your post-flop skills are weak.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:21 AM

I guess you mean AJo. I play it from early position. Here is my stats from poker tracker. I have got that hand 714 times and have made 0.51 BB/hand. Position (# off the Button ) 7: 0.20 BB/100 (28 times), 6: 0.78 BB/100 (48 times), 5: 0.89 BB/100 (62 times)...

The sampelsize is to small to be significant but I think I will proced to play this hand from early pos... But I belive the hand have to be played aggressive.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:29 AM

Perhaps some people could mine their PT histories and post a couple AJ hands with non-Jxx flops they played well?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps some people could mine their PT histories and post a couple AJ hands with non-Jxx flops they played well?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had my PT db here at work I would. But AJ plays fine in any flop with an Ace.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your situation, than you gotta work on your postflop skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that why I am here? But my main question was if I should play it from early position or not

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that is why you're here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

AJo is a pretty good starting hand, obviously it's worse in EP than in later positions, but I think at the micro-limits it can definetely be played from EP.
Also, when in ace flops, you will usually have the best hand. You won't usually be dominated by AK or AQ, especially if no one raised you (or reraised if you raised first in with AJo) preflop, so I find ace flops about as easy to play as jack flops. Harder flops to play include undercards where you might have a backdoor draw or something, but you also face these problems with AK or AQ, so I don't find anything particularly daunting about AJ.