Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:46 AM

Default WTF is going on ??? (Please read - kinda long though)

Okay, so I've mentioned in a few of my recent posts that I can't seem to win lately.

So, after gaining some thoughtful encouragement from my last few post here (thanks guys...), I sat down with a clear head for another session... opened up 4 tables of $3/$6, as usual. I felt great at the start... not really winning or losing, but making good reads, good bets, good folds....

Well, as usual, I'm down $200 in and hour (260 hands) and decided I need to quit for a bit and post some of these hands.

I'm going to include the results in white, but try not to look at them until you've read the hand and decided whether or not my play is appropriate.

These first 3 hands all occured at the same table within in 10 minutes of each other:

HAND #1:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Here I'm putting villain on a lower set or two pair. I really doubted he had pocket Kings or he would have capped preflop.</font>

River: (14.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has 9c Qc (straight, king high).
Hero has Jd Jc (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: MP2 wins 18.66 BB. </font>

HAND #2:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.
<font color="blue">Perhaps a loose preflop call. But I don't hate it.</font>

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

<font color="blue">In retrospect, probably a loose call here, but I was getting 9:1 for my money, maybe even 10:1 if MP calls.</font>

Turn: (5.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.
<font color="blue">Now, if SB had of been the raiser here, I would have folded... but this was MP1.</font>

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Hero has Ts Ah (one pair, aces).
MP1 has Ac Kd (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11.50 BB. </font>

<font color="blue">This seems to happen to me a lot: someone limps in with a big hand... then pops up in the middle of the hand to haunt me.

It's just losing to the MP1 with AK that I can't get out of my head...
</font>

HAND #3:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $4.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Hero has Qd Ts (one pair, tens).
MP2 has Th Ad (one pair, tens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 8.66 BB. </font>
<font color="blue">Again with the freakin kickers... I really didn't think Queen kicker was that bad here.</font>

HAND #4:

This was one of the last hands of my session. I put the villain on a couple of high cards. I called on the end because wasn't sure he had a heart ....and maybe I was tilting...

LOOK AT THE GUY'S HAND, THOUGH! To make matters worse, he mocked me for calling without a heart!...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB

Hero has Ac 6c (one pair, sixes).
CO has 8s 9h (flush, ten high).
Outcome: CO wins 11.16 BB. </font>

<font color="red">So, what do you guys think?????

Bad Play? Bad Luck? A little of both?
</font>

Thanks,

Adam
Old 12-22-2004, 12:54 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: WTF is going on ??? (Please read - kinda long though)

you have a case of FPS and you seem to be a bit loose, both preflop and postflop. I think you overvalue overcards and top pair

your river call in the last hand is atrocious
Old 12-22-2004, 01:26 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Hand 1:

Funny you don't mention a str8 as a possible holding for the turn capper.

Hand 2: The problem with your flop call is you have a SB raiser. Usually, i'd let this go on the flop.

Hand 3: Why you don't bet out on the turn here is anybody's guess. You don't want this to get checked around.

b
Old 12-22-2004, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have a case of FPS and you seem to be a bit loose, both preflop and postflop. I think you overvalue overcards and top pair

your river call in the last hand is atrocious

[/ QUOTE ]

What's FPS? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's FPS? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fancy play syndrome.

In hand 1, didn't you at least consider you were up against AQ?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 1, didn't you at least consider you were up against AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what... I didn't.

It's funny, cuz when you see the hand posted in it's entirety, I can definitely see the possibility. But in play, I honestly wasn't thinking of that hand. Perhaps hitting the set of jacks got me overexcited.

Funny thing, though... he didn't have AQ, rather a mere Q9. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Adam
Old 12-22-2004, 03:36 AM

ist hand not much u can do 2nd hand stupid loose call with a 10 got urself into it third hand not bad id bet into turn though river call on 4th hand retarded.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:43 AM

muck ATo in ep
Old 12-22-2004, 04:03 AM

Ok. Some intial comments on your mentality and then on to the hand.

First. Just because you have a winning attitude and have done some reading or thinking DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO WIN. Don't think that way. If you aren't, good. But seriously think about what I'm saying right now.

Second, I would recommend playing only 1 or 2 tables when you come back, and focusing on making good reads, putting people on hands, knowing the pot size and odds at all times, and just making good individual decisions. A lot of people don't want to cut into their 'earn' rate by dropping tables or limits, but your earn rate is the wrong color right now anyway, so do it.

On to the hands.

Hand 1:
Preflop is fine.
Flop is fine.
Turn - this is what I mean about putting someone on a hand. I find that small stakes players are generally more passive on very co-ordinated boards. I think the three-bet is usually okay unless the opponent is pretty passive, but when you get capped, you have to feel you are behind.
River - Bad raise. See turn.

Hand 2 -
Fold preflop.
Fold the flop.
Turn, meh. If you call this raise, probably fold the river unimproved.
River, see turn.

Hand 3
I don't have a big problem here. Since you lost it's tempting to say 'bet right out on the turn.' (BTW, including results in white but then commenting on hands in other colors doesn't really help keep things objective... posting this way is going to make people more critical of your play because they know you lost all of these hands...)

Hand 4 -
Preflop okay.
Flop good.
Turn - I like either check-call or bet and fold to a raise, unless CO is really loose-aggressive.
River- bad call.

NT
Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 AM

Hand 1 - I 3-bet the turn also, but when I am bet into after the cap, I call.

Hand 2 - I fold this pre-flop in EP, and I definitely fold this flop in a raised pot.

Hand 3 - Bet the turn. The check-raise was just FPS.

Hand 4 - Against most players I fold that turn, and you already know the river call was awful.